Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody's Doing Something....THE FINALE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot. That really does look like bacon.

Comment

Very interesting read Troutman, and a most excellent writeup. I must say I'm surprised by the beef quality though. I cook a lot of grass fed/grass finished brisket. 50% of the briskets I do are Heritage Angus (grass fed, grain finished, Canadian). The other 50% are grass fed/grass finished. It's from a local guy who raises Hereford cattle. They wander around, eat grass all day, at their own pace. When they are between 3-4 years old they go to slaughter. The beef quality is nothing short of excellent. The fat looks different, it is more yellow, but I have yet to see fat like was on your brisket. I'm gonna argue it is not significant for grass fed brisket, and I highly suspect you got a bad one.

Just one (QVQ) question: if the brisket was never above 120-130 deg F (or so), how was the meat in texture? I think we can all agree that most fat never rendered down, which (in my opinion) is needed for a brisket to turn out good. But what about muscle fibers/tenderness of the actual meat? And was it juicy like a 'normal' brisket?

Either way, great writeup and very nice photos.

Comment

Point taken, this was simply a bad example of a grass fed/grass finished brisket. In fact I'm going to be showing pictures of this to the meat manager at my local grocer. I'm not concluding that this type of beef is necessarily bad, it's all in the flavor profile each individual prefers. Most of us raised in the Mid-west were raised on grass fed/corn finished beef, which I think is the preferred flavor we expect in our meat. Plus, given the fact that the grass finished brisket was higher priced, I'm probably going to pass in the future. For an extra dollar a pound I can have their wagyu product which is excellent. Why risk another bad brisket?

As to the fat rendering, I must disagree. I've cooked a number of briskets QVQ to medium rare and have always had the intermuscular fat and collagen render down. Here's an example of one done not too long ago;

Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Rare Brisket 12.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	729734

It's not only about temperature, but time that cooks and renders that fat. I SV these briskets at 130* for 72 hours, the time factor is what renders fat, not necessarily the temperature.

What you're seeing in the grass fed beef is deckle fat. That type of fat will not render, that's typically the fat that lies between the flat and the point. Most comp guys cut it completely out because not matter what you do to it, it will not render and has an off putting taste.

Why that particular brisket had that much of it is beyond me, I've never seen a brisket that looked like that. Regardless, thanks for the props, this was a success from the technique standpoint, the meat itself was extremely tender and beefy. The down side was the poor yield and high fat content.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here