Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not sear steaks first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all for your comments. I think switching to the front-sear technique will likely help me minimize overshooting my terminal temp. I typically use a leave-in meat probe during the indirect phase, but that doesn’t work well at all for me during the searing phase when flipping, etc. So I’ll experiment with a sear-probe-bake sequence. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by mstruth View Post
      Thanks to all for your comments. I think switching to the front-sear technique will likely help me minimize overshooting my terminal temp. I typically use a leave-in meat probe during the indirect phase, but that doesn’t work well at all for me during the searing phase when flipping, etc. So I’ll experiment with a sear-probe-bake sequence. Thanks again!
      You should really look at getting a Thermapen. They read fast, they are accurate and you can monitor your steak during the searing phase. They also work great for all times of cooking.

Check out our review on them right here, it explains it all in much more detail.

Comment

• mstruth
        mstruth commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I have one and use it frequently.

• ddmcwhirter
        ddmcwhirter commented
        Editing a comment
        The Thermoworks (?) site has a lot of information obtained in their cooking lab. For example, they tested rib roast sears...front, none and reverse. With the meat near freezing, they found the front sear left no gray meat under the sear. Also...sear with salt and pepper, then add oily goop seasoning.

• ddmcwhirter
        ddmcwhirter commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a twenty pound seven bone rib roast (ribs cooked separately) with the front sear...I have a large 1/4" steel plate that slides over my fire box...the original purpose to direct the heat into the smoker boxes...then I discovered its perfection for searing while the fire gets going and the pits heat up.

If your looking to cook a steak as best as you can definitely reverse sear. It's ugly when you mess up a 2" steak but chalk it up to practice. The cooking methods on this site work. Especially reverse sear, I'd re-read everything before i gave up on this technique. Read Kenji on it as well...

Comment

I cook a steak once a week, needed or not. Mostly 1.25 inch rib eye .The best way IMOP to cook steak, is sou vide for 1.5 hours to 130 Degrees. then get the charcoal hot 600 degrees + using grill grates at the grate, I in 1.5 minute, turn 90 degrees then flip at 3 min, then turn 90 degrees, at 4.5 min at 6 min turn 90 degrees, thrermo pin in hand at 145 it's done. Might be done at about 6 min 30 seconds. Of course use your favorite steak rub, before sou vide. and sprinkle a little more at the last 30 seconds. Brush on unsalted butter, and plate.

The method is the same if not having the time to sous vide, takes about 12 minute's. total to get to 145. Just longer time's period before turn's and flip.

I'm useing a PK grill with grill grate's, entered a steak comp in the spring came in 5th of 25. Using this method.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          At 145 you have a medium done steak. Which is well above the recommended 125-135 medium-rare range recommended for the best flavor and chew of a great steak. I would never, never ever serve a steak that. well done, if they want it more done I'll throw in the microwave. IMHO you have ruined it. Obviously the judges liked there steaks medium. Some people do. LOL
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 12, 2019, 03:46 PM.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker optimal doneness is purely subjective. Like you I want my steaks to be medium rare. My mother-in-law adamantly wants her steaks medium. My wife likes hers medium-rare to medium, and that's only because I've force-fed her enough medium rare steak that she's come to appreciate it.

KenC52 I've been cooking steaks from frozen quite a bit lately. I've usually got a stash of ~2" dry-brined ribeyes in the fridge, and it makes it easy to grab 'n' go, as it were. If I'm cooking with the SnS I reverse sear and usually roll some light smoke. If I'm cooking on my gasser I front sear, mostly because my gasser is crap for searing without getting a CI piece screaming hot, so searing first lets me get a good crust without overcooking. And the steaks turn out fantastic either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          I've switched a couple years ago to doing exactly what you're asking. It's called front sear. It's my method of choice for steaks & burgers. I sear to whatever level pleases me then slow cook indirectly up to my target temp. I personally feel I have better control over the final temp instead of zooming past it during a reverse sear.
          Agree! I came full circle. Used to front sear back in the day... then when reverse sear became all the rage, I switched... about a year ago I decided to do a front sear just for old times sake... 1) Couldn’t tell the difference vs reverse sear 2) It was so much more relaxing just being able to allow the meat to slowly come to temp after the initial sear.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! But, most folks who grill steaks use direct heat the whole time, which is of course different than front sear. I still don't recommend all direct, unless it's a thin steak.

For steaks I like to put them in the freezer for at least an hour, if not longer, prior to cooking. The outer sides of the meat freeze but the center does not. Since they cook from the outside-in I've found that doing it this way all-but eliminates that gray band between the surface and the interior. Here's a pic of a thick cut NY strip I cooked in my 14.5 WSM utilizing this method:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	729220
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378 (1).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	729221

Comment

I like my steaks rare, so, front sear only!

Comment

I try and use David Parrish's cold grate method when I can:

If I can't cook them outside, it is front sear with some CI than into the oven.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too.

Tonight’s front-sear cook worked well. Having only one useful arm, the technique resulted in a much less "frantic" and fairly relaxed cook – plus we really enjoyed the results. Thanks again for the input and advice!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Good looking steak!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect! You did well. I may switch from reverse searing after all. My front seared thick steaks never looked that good, though, back in the day. Plus it was harder to back the fire's temp down low enough for the lower heat phase 2, even on the indirect side. I like starting with a small fire and then adding the heat at the end for searing. But I also like trying (or re-trying) new methods.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 18, 2019, 07:30 AM.

I think what this thread proves is that there is always more than one way to cook good food, and everyone has their preferred method. It is all good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here