Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sirloin Steak From Frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sirloin Steak From Frozen

Nope--no pics because I suck at pics.
    Wanted to share something I tried tonight that kind of surprised me.
    1.5" thick sirloin from Golden Belt Beef here in the South Kansas City area. New butcher shop that opened a few weeks ago that so far has really impressed me and family.
    I followed the directions from ThermPro who it looks to me like copied them from Americas Test Kitchen.
    I went 7 minutes per side direct on the PK360 and then moved them over to indirect for an additional 7 minutes. Turned out a nice VERY juicy Medium, Medium Rare. Cut them on a nice board sauce, and was pleasantly surprised!
    Links below.
    ThermaPro https://buythermopro.com/guides/how-...-frozen-steak/
    Golden Belt Beef https://www.goldenbeltbeef.com

Just have to step in to say these Angus are raised about 40 miles from the small town I grew up in. WAY back in the day when it was a much smaller operation and I was around 15-16 years old we would go out on winters nights and coyote hunt the offal pit. Once in a while that pit would have so many around it you kind of wondered if it would be better to hunt from up in a tree. They would actually get aggressive as hell.
    In any case--pretty good beef and priced fairly well for what it is. Sirloin was $8.50/lb on a flash sale today.
    Last weekend it was 85/15 ground beef at $2.50/lb.
    AND--the smoked bologna is THE best bologna i have ever eaten. Almost a Lebanon bologna taste to it.

forgot to add. The Duck Salt is kind of a local favorite with an interesting story behind it.
    REALLY is good on just about anything. Beef, Chicken, Pork, PopCorn.
    Created in the aftermath of the 2007 Greensburg Tornado, Duck Salt is a MSG free, low sodium seasoning that's great for practically anything. Add it into you favorite meat prep recipe or sprinkle it on that next batch of popcorn. Duck Salt is the seasoning you need!

Comment

Nope-didn't read because I suck at reading.

A bad pic is better than no pic.

Comment

Nope--not a picture taker.
        I travelled the world for 35 years and have like 3 pictures.
        Pissed my wife off to no end.
        BUT! In my own defense in some of the times and places a camera could easily have been the end of any kind of traveling.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, you certainly are dedicated at it. 3 pictures in 35 years. That means, that at one a decade you’ve got another one rumbling in yer innards about now.

Geez, you can do that link thing & you suck at pics. Well, I suck at link things.

Comment

Links are copy and paste--pictures are effort and art.
          No comparison.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Pictures are point and push a button. Yeah some guys here make it look like art, but the rest of us just take a crappy picture so others can see what we are talking about.

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            An example?
            One of my pictures was taken in Algeria of a bad ass well fire.
            I managed to get my thumb into about a third of it. The rest is kind of cool though.

I suck at copyin & my tongue gets sorta funny when it come to the pastin thing.

Comment

Wanted to share what I did on my PK360 tonight. Home raised, home slaughtered pork burger. Not sure how long I left it on direct heat before flipping, I was watching a Dodger game while it cooked. Flipped between innings and toasted bun on indirect side. Checked meat with thermometer, shut down intakes, and went in to put mayo on bun. Came back for burger, put on sweet onion, lettuce, and pickles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	727955

Name:	IMG_1668.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	727958

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	727956

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	727957

Sorry for the crappy pics. Had to build burger on the sink as the counter was piled in dirty dishes. What's that? Why yes, my wife is in fact out of town, how did you know?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              You even save empty slaw/tater salad containers? I’m impressed. Miracle whip huh? Doubly impressed.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              I save everything that can be reused, much to the torment of my wife. The MW was picked up for me by my neighbour after I broke my leg and couldn't get to the store. And yes, I'm saving the jar.....

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here