Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good the Bad and the Picanha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good the Bad and the Picanha

In celebration of a eureka moment I chose to cook something I haven’t yet done. Last night I dry brined a 2 pound Picanha for my Sunday evening treat. Today turned out to be a busy day. After picking up 6 x 3 pound pork bellies and a 20 pound bone in chuck, I trimmed the bellies and deboned the chuck.
    I smoked 3 of the bellies that only had about 2 hours of salting and rubbed with MMD before cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_153227.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	725178

When the bellies were done I prepared a new fire for the Picanha and settled the kettle @275F. Added a chunk of citrus wood to the lump and let the meat ride till I hit an IT of 125 and over to the hot coals for a sear to 130F.

The Picanha

Name:	20190803_212149.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	725179

These are their cooking instructions that you can see from above I did not follow.

Name:	20190803_212529.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	725180

Things are going good and the wife makes herself a roll with some pork belly on. I’m sorry I asked how it was because she said it was sweet compared with how it usually tastes and the bark a sugary crunchy.
    Now those comments mess with the dark matter between my ears and when I sampled it, it did taste sweetish and the bark was sugar crunchy. She said it still tasted good. I sense she noticed I’d become a bit grumpy. I’m deliberating whether she gets anymore of my BBQ.
    One of the 3 bellies I delivered to an old acquaintance while the Picanha was cooking. Got a WhatsApp from him complementing me on the cook. I asked him if it was sweet and he said it was but not overly. I then proceeded to explain what could have been the cause and this and that and next time it will be better. He answered saying he didn’t think it could get any better.

Now about the Picanha that I moved over to sear at 125F and after turning a couple times I removed when it reached 130F. I was really disappointed with the inside redness it didn’t look like medium rare. It was however tender moist and very tasty. I suspect it may have overshot the reading I was getting from my leave in probe. I definitely need to get an Instant read thermometer.

At 125F ready for sear

Name:	SAM_2455.JPG
Views:	1049
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	725181

The sear

Name:	SAM_2468.jpg sear.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	725182

The result

Name:	SAM_2471.JPG
Views:	1037
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	725183

Name:	20190804_202241.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	725184

Name:	SAM_2475.JPG
Views:	994
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	725185

The moral of the story is you’re on a kind of high one moment then life kicks you up the jack and you back down to reality. Nevertheless we march forward.

PS. I did score a nice cover for my kettle today on the markdown table was R298.00 paid R90.00 so not all is bad.

Still looks good. I’m a big fan of cooking to an internal of 115 and then searing to about 125. Carry over seems to almost always get me right at the 132-135 finish point I like.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      First time reverse sear so on a learning curve and will definitely go lower on the IT.
      Noted.

When I cook a picanha ,,I cut it into steaks and dry brine over nite and reverse sear and I’m one happy guy

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Will give it a bash. It was still very tender and moist.

Yea agreed, pull it sooner, like 115* like Don mentions. Then hit it with the sear. Carry over during the rest gets it to 130ish.

Also, picanha tends to bloom after exposed to air. Did it begin to turn a little redder after carving?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      It did

Still a good lookin' cook.

Comment

Was your rub sweet. That may have caused your sweet pork.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        It was the sugar in the rub. And no need to mention pork is sweet on its own I do enjoy MMD on my belly and butts.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here