Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at beef Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at beef Wellington

I seared the filet then cooked it sous vide before wrapping it. It was easier than I expected and cooking it sous vide is easy mode but the meat was not nearly as tender as I would have expected for $25/pound prime tenderloin.
    Attached Files

Olive tapenade or mushroom duxelle in between the puff pastry and the tenderloin?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of olive tapenade with beef Wellington. You some kinda Italian/British blend in your bloodline? Did you go sneak off and get you AncestryDNA kit ??

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, had it twice with olives at restaurants, not a fan. Ancestry DNA says I'm VERY predominantly Scottish. My short squatty foul tempered stature agrees. Troutman

Yes there is a picture of the duxelle in there on top of the parma ham

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal. I think it is way better with the duxelle than a tapenade. Well it looked fantastic. Do you have a pic of the loin out of the cryobag raw?

I want to do this.

Comment

I am a little surprised it turned out a little tough. What grade was the tenderloin. Tell us a little about your cook. You seared it, what was it's temp when you put it in the SV. What was the SV temp and how long. Once you wrap with the pastry, how long did you cook it and what was the temp of the tenderloin when you took it out.

Comment

• Meatyorology
        Meatyorology commented
        Editing a comment
        It was prime tenderloin, I seared it, gave it a little coat of mustard and let it cool down (maybe 15 minutes) before bagging it and cooking sous vide at 126 for 2 hours. The tenderloin was 124 in the center after cooking. Then I chilled it in the fridge before making the duxelle.

That looks great.

Comment

Looks awesome. Bet it tasted as good as it looks. Nice going!

Comment

This is one of my favorite meals to make. You have a nice pastry dough there as well! Is it homemade pastry?

Comment

• Meatyorology
            Meatyorology commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a "European" store bought pastry, I had never heard of the brand.

Nice work there

Comment

What a beautiful look to that cook. I bet it tasted great, even if it wasn't fall-apart tender. You had some awesome flavors wrapped around that piece of meat.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looks fantastic. That pastry is phenomenal. Maybe longer in the SV bath would be more tender? Not an expert on that but I think that is usually how it works.

Comment

That was an excellent looking Wellington. Looks like you did everything correctly. I too am surprised that you thought the beef was tough. I normally don’t buy prime tenderloin because even the lesser grades are super tender. I’m wondering if it had something to do with the shocking of the meat after you cooked it.

Comment

I may have been overly harsh in my initial assessment, the subsequent slices I have had as leftovers have been quite tender and tasty albeit without the having that fresh crispy pastry, but still very good. Will definitely give it another go before crowning it the new traditional Christmas eve dinner but it is now on the short list. Thanks all for the replies and feedback

Comment

Every time I think this site has given me the last something new, I am proved wrong. Beef Wellington. Duxcelle. Tapenade. Damn.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here