Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Chuck Steak Cooks, Sous Vide and Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Chuck Steak Cooks, Sous Vide and Ground

My family is out of town this weekend, so I felt compelled to stop at the grocery store and stock up on sustenance. I picked up a pack of chicken drumsticks for an attempt at some kettle fried chicken, and also bought a pack of manager's special chuck steaks, 2 steaks in the pack, about 3 pounds total, for sous-vide-que and grinding for burgers.

I started with the chuck steaks. My apologies, I didn't take a picture of the unopened package, and didn't think about it until I had the steak in the pot.

For the sous-vide-que, I'm using the recipe from Chef Steps for Ultimate Grilled Chuck Steak. I prepped up one of the steaks into a vacuum seal bag, and into the drink for 24 hours. I didn't think to take a picture until this morning when there was 6 hours left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190727_111713.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	721543

More on that once it's out of the sous vide cook.

The other steak in the pack I ground up for some chuck burgers. I marinated it overnight in some olive oil, garlic, and some pepper (no salt). Cut up into approx 1 inch cubes, then in to the freezer for 30 minutes before grinding.

Name:	20190727_154009.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	721544

While the meat was in the freezer, I decided to make some pizza dough. Why not?

Name:	IMG_20190727_162550.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	721546

30 minutes later, cubed meat out of the freezer and ready to grind:

Name:	20190727_160838.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	721545

I used my trusty Cuisinart food processor, and ground it up in 2 batches, 1 second pulses, about 20 pulses total for each batch.

Name:	IMG_20190727_161328.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	721547

Overall not a bad grind! Mostly good little dots of fat, not really any fat smearing to speak of. You can see a couple of pieces here and there of sinew/gristly stuff, which I picked out. I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and back into the refrigerator for later enjoyment.

That's where I am at so far. Will update when the steak is out of the sous vide in 14 minutes or so. Just enough time to get the grill lit up.

Glad to see that you're not going to starve while the family is away. Nice!

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I bought enough food to feed the family plus some.
      Last edited by crazytown3; July 27, 2019, 08:39 PM.

Out of the pot. Let it cool down a little and patted it dry. In the meantime, added the bag juices to some corn and butter in the CI.

Name:	IMG_20190727_172647.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	721585

Name:	IMG_20190727_172653.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	721584

Comment

The coals were ripping hot.

Name:	IMG_20190727_173541.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	721615

On to the coals, seared 1m 30s each side.

Name:	IMG_20190727_173610.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	721612

Finished sear, resting for about 5m.

Name:	IMG_20190727_174048 (1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	721611

After trimming the finished steak up, it yielded about 3 decent sized portions. Now plated up, ready to eat! Steak frites, and pan cooked corn.

Name:	IMG_20190727_174701.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	721613

It's hard to see, but the steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare.

Great meal! Perfectly seasoned steak, that was very tender, great 'beefy' flavor. Fries were crispy and good, and the corn cooked with butter and steak drippings was outstanding.

So far so good.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Cooked up a couple of chuck burgers for lunch today. Turned out great! Crispy edges, juicy, tender, almost fall apart )(not quite).

Nothing fancy here, made one burger with cheese, the other with hickory smoked ham and cheese.

Name:	IMG_20190728_150301.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	722051

Comment

Well, I intended to slice up the remainder of the cooked sous-vide-que chuck steak, and use it as a topping on some grilled pizza. I just couldn't do it though, it was too much food. I still have the remainder of the steak, 3 ground chuck patties, a pack of chicken drumsticks, and a batch of pizza dough.

It's a good thing the family is coming home today. I need them to get eating.

Comment

You should have enlisted Paul Newman to help you out with all that chow !!! Looks like some good eats all the way around !!

Comment

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hehe, or Steve McQueen. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

At least you didn't get bored, and you made your stomach happy to boot. Sounds like a great way to keep from missing family too much.

Kathryn

Comment

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                True, and I sent pictures to them, which made them slightly jealous.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here