Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet aging, bloated bag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet aging, bloated bag...

Hey all, have done a couple wet aged packers from Costco, but have one aging now for about 33 days from pack date and the bag is bloating up. Kept in the garage fridge which is rarely opened.

Any insights why it's spoiling?

By the way, the wet aged packers hold juices like no other. Smoked in foil pan and at one point the flat was literally floating in juice.

Seal is broken I would think

Comment

Yeah that's unfortunate it's happened at 33 days, but toss it. I've aged many and I can go 70 days, I've done several at 69 or 70 days. I went 80 days and I had one swell up like that. No way it should ever happen at 33 unless one of two things, either you got the packed on date completely wrong or were given bad information about it, or the seal is broken, most likely the latter.

Comment

Dang, I'm bummed. Greygoose I intentionally check for leaks. I walked through the whole store with it then I flip several times at home, and there were no signs of puncture or juice loss. In most cases I'd think bloating could not be present if bag was punctured.

Huskee $55 down the drain I guess. Pack date is 6/20, sale date is 6/27. Dang....

Comment

Yeah that's abnormal. Well, you could always cut it open and give it to sniff test. If it smells like fresh beef, you could just cook it up now, seems to me if it's bloating because it was spoiled your sniffer would surely tell you in a quick hurry. I sure feel sorry for you that's a bum deal.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            the ole gag test...

Can you post a pic? Usually if it's spoiling it will be bloated like it's ready to pop, I suppose a little bit of air might not be a bad thing, just kind of depends how it looks. Although no matter who of us gives you advice on it, it's you and your loved ones' bellies.

Comment

Sure...

Click image for larger version

Name:	15641901807206340356284135441483.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	721067

Click image for larger version

Name:	15641902561624152075472312346094.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	721068

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              The top picture make me sad in a different way. That’s what I have to pay for a Select Brisket anywhere around me. 😢

I’ll drink a beer and say a prayer to the BBQ Gods asking for an un-spoiled Brisket.

• SpeedyB
              SpeedyB commented
              Editing a comment
              ssandy_561 if I go to a meat market and buy choice plus, it's $8-9/lb. Costco is a game changer for beef IMO

Boy, I want to say that I've done a few that looked that way myself. If it was bloated because of spoilage like I say it would be enormous you'd be scared to touch it. Although the argument could be made it's on its way there now. But most likely it's okay. Let It Go another week, or even two, and look at it again. If it looks the same it's probably fine. But again the flip side is for $55 bucks always better safe than sorry.

Comment

Huskee ya got me scared man.....

Gonna low-and-slow it tonight barring a sniff exam

Comment

Aged meat will give off gas. If it is puffing up, it is still airtight. I hate to give advice on this, but if it does not smell bad, I would tend to think it is ok. A broken seal would be a bad.

Comment

Welp, she gone. Straight foul upon opening.... 😭😭😭

Comment

• jhapka
                    jhapka commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rip

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry.

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gag test never fails.

Sorry man. That's very abnormal for only 33 days.

Comment

• SpeedyB
                    SpeedyB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All good man 👊

Costco might give you a refund. At least give it a try.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Since it's a month after the 'sell by' date they probably won't, but who knows. I agree it's worth a shot.

• SpeedyB
                    SpeedyB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Geez, that sounds like a pretty egregious request to ask. But I'll head share with the meat dept and get their thoughts.

Hope it doesn't happen again. I really see a marked difference in the wet aged beef

As I read through each post on this topic this morning, I had a growing hope that you would just toss it. Sounds like the whiff test made that choice pretty simple. You may be out $55, but at least you and your family aren't sick. There are plenty more briskets out there.

Kathryn

Comment

• SpeedyB
                    SpeedyB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc that's right. I really dont care about the money as much as adding to the wait of being able to try new techniques with a juicier product. I'll head over today top grab a new one and start over.

SpeedyB My wife will return food items that were bad, such as a watermelon, avocados, etc. Stores always give a refund. I would refund or replace produce I sold to customers, it's in best interest to keep business.

So, here's my Costco return story. I purchased a Kirkland pop up canopy in store. Used it for nearly a year when the leg got bent, my fault. I called Costco on how to get a replacement leg. I was told it was under warranty, to call manufacturer, and if they didn't take care of it to call them back. I called manufacturer, who not only didn't warranty it, which I didn't expect, they didn't sell parts. I called Costco and they said to bring it back and gave me a full refund. I then purchased another on Costco.com, one that is a national brand and sells parts.

Your request may not be as egregious as you think. You don't know the meat wasn't spoiled or contaminated when sealed. Wet aging is a standard practice, the meat shouldn't have gone bad. I could see if you left it in the trunk of your car, but you had it in a refrigerator. Take it back and tell them what happened, it was in the refrigerator and the bag swelled, when you opened it the meat was foul. Not only do you have nothing to lose by trying, but I believe you will be pleasantly satisfied.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great info!

• SpeedyB
                    SpeedyB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ComfortablyNumb good stuff. I'll give it a go!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here