Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking A Whole Sirloin Roast For The First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking A Whole Sirloin Roast For The First Time

A friend of mine gave me two choice sirloin roasts. He wants me to smoke one for him and I get to keep the other. I'm cutting mine into steaks and vacuum packing them to take to the lake next week for grilling.

Having never smoked a whole sirloin roast before, I scoured this site for tips. I've already got a dry brine going. Tomorrow I'll put on a dry beef rub and put it in the smoker using apple wood and smoke at 225 F until the internal temp is 112 or so.
    Then I'll finish it off by searing it until the temp rises to 130 and pull it. I know this is best eaten off the grill, however my friend will reheat it then eat it.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Files

I like your plan. I’ve cooked plenty whole sirloin roasts, I like ‘em. Why does your friend want to reheat and then eat?

Comment

• Steppy
      Steppy commented
      Editing a comment
      He owns his own restaurant and periodically he gives me briskets, etc. to smoke up for him. We all know that meat right off the smoker is best, but he doesn't mind reheating what I cook for him.
      Last edited by Steppy; July 23, 2019, 06:20 PM.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, makes sense.

Does your frien have access to a soo veed? That's the way to reheat because you can keep the temp low and not overcook it. If not, then have him try to keep the temp low when he reheats.

Comment

• Steppy
      Steppy commented
      Editing a comment
      He's a chef actually and has his own restaurant. He knows how to reheat beef

Comment

Sorry everytime I see 'sooo veeed' I think I'm in Arkansas. Same question, what does he plan to do with it, cut it into steaks and serve? If so sounds like your plan is solid enough, keep it medium rare !!

Comment

I've done NY Strip Loins the same way, cooking them to 135ish. I think I front-seared them on the flat side of the grill grates on my gasser though, before smoking on the kettle with the SNS. For those who wanted theirs more well-done, I tossed their slices into a cast iron skillet on the stove, at carving time, or gave them an end piece that was more well done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here