Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in wrap...paper vs foil??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference in wrap...paper vs foil??????

What is the outcome difference in using paper vs foil. I have never wrapped. If there is a max difference I may give one a try.

The pink paper allows the meat to breathe while the foil does not. The bark will stay better in the pink paper.

Comment

Well, foil gets stuck in your teeth easier than paper.

Foil basically steams or braises the meat. You wind up with softer bark too. Paper, not being waterproof, allows moisture to escape giving a little better bark. With foil, you can save and use the liquid collected in the foil, but you lose the liquid with paper.

Here's Aaron Franklin's comparison:

Comment

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is exactly what I was going to refer to as well. You can find the whole episode on PBS or from the Franklin BBQ website (if I remember correctly).

It seems his conclusion was there is a definite difference between foil vs paper (vs. unwrapped), and there are no bad results, just different.

I like to foil because I want to save the juices. And while foiling might cause the bark to soften, I personally don’t like dry crunchy bark on my meat. I don’t foil until the bark is set and I have the color I want.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m the same way. Plus I love either adding those juices back into the meat when pulling or using it to make some great BBQ sauce.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto here

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        You can wrap for a shorter period then unwrap and get the bark.

A youtuber called Baby Back Maniac did some comparison cooks between foil and paper. The conclusion he (and his fellow tasters) came to was butcher paper produces better results for beef and foil is better for pork.

Comment

Ahh the old foil versus paper. You say banana and I say banawna, you say potato and I say potaato.

My suggestion is to try all three and decide for yourself. Not trying to be a wise ass but it's true, I've done foil, paper and nekkid and figured out what's best for my palette. Each has its strong suits, you won't really mess up too badly with any of the three.

Comment

No wrap = Dry thick bark
          Paper wrap = Dry almost as thick bark, saves some time but not much (happy medium between no wrap and foil wrap)
          Foil wrap = Biggest time saver, saves juices to use later, can lead to softer bark depending when you wrap.

If you wrap with either foil or paper at the start of the stall, say 160, you will have minimal bark.

If you wrap after the stall once bark is set well, neither one will ruin your bark, but foil will be softer.

Paper breathes leading to drier bark, but no juices saved. Foil doesn't breathe leading to quicker cook once wrapped and juices reserved.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            This pretty much sums it up nicely.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Great summary.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Only thing I would add to this is the part about timing. If you do wrap in foil at or before the stall (as he says around 160* or lower) then you also risk the "pot roast" or over braising affect. That's the main reason I quit foil wrapping or foil panning my briskets.

I use paper because it perseveres the bark better, which I like. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper to use butcher paper than foil when you are cooking as much as many of us do. And you can use the paper to cover tables and work spaces, which makes clean up a breeze. I use it all the time around the kitchen.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mean "I use 'paper' because it preserves bark better...."??

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Troutman

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here