Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When brisket has to be done on time - Please comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When brisket has to be done on time - Please comment

I recently did three Sams Club Prime briskets for a party. They were trimmed and rubbed with Dalmatian rub the day before and injected with an Amazing Ribs recipe beef brine. They had to be ready at 4PM. I started them at 6 AM on a 275 gallon tank cooker I use for whole pigs using KBB charcoal and pecan for smoke. It was hot outside (heat index 100+), and very little wind blowing. I was easily able to maintain a 225 -250 grate temperature and the meat temperature increased smoothly.

Around 11 AM, the meat temperature was about 150. I wrapped in two layers of butcher paper, and placed in a 400 degree oven to finish. It took 2+ hours in the oven to reach 203 degrees. I wrapped them in towels and rested in faux cambro until time to serve - a good 2 hours.

Everyone raved about how good the brisket was. IMHO, the brisket was plenty tasty and juicy, great smoke ring and decent bark.

What are your opinions about finishing brisket in an oven that hot?

Originally posted by steve_woolston View Post

Everyone raved about how good the brisket was. IMHO, the brisket was plenty tasty and juicy, great smoke ring and decent bark.
    Sounds like you nailed it. That carries a LOT more weight than anyone's opinion, but I'll still give you mine. Getting it "done" by whatever means necessary in order to get at least a 2 hr hold was a great move. I always build that hold time into my estimated total cook time.
    Last edited by Steve R.; July 22, 2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      +2. You did it just right.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +3

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      +4

Congratulations! I do use the oven after wrapping occasionally but never that high. Interesting.

Comment

Once it is wrapped, I will put in the oven if the situation calls for it. I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Sound like everyone loved it and that is all that matters.

Comment

Eastern Shore-men are know for their practically and this is a good example. Whatever works to get the job done. It is the results that count in cooking.

Comment

Finishing in the oven may be "cheating" but as the old NASCAR guys say "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying". Nothing wrong at all with finishing in the oven as long as it gets the job done.

Comment

never went as high as 400, but im all for powering through the stall once wrapped...oven/grill...good for me, if the temp is accurate then i figure minimal difference. i know a lot of guys swear by never wrapping and ive found that to be ok with prime or better but otherwise i find it dries out. im by no means an expert but thats been my experience. and like you said, people raved so it sounds like it went well, lol.

Comment

Cook's Illustrated's (granted not known for its bbq acumen) recipe calls for 2 zone grill roasting for 2 hours and then double wrapping in foil and into a 300 oven for 3-3.5 hours. It works quite well. That was my go to brisket method until I knew better (?) My approach is to use whatever works for conditions. You served a well prepared meal on time. Congratulations.

Comment

The goal isn’t to achieve perfect process, it is to achieve perfect result. The only thing that matters is that it was great.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So true.

I've never gone to 400, but have gone to the 300 to 350 range to force a butt or brisket to get done on time! Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• Scout789
                  Scout789 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here and I routinely finish in the oven. Normally at 275 deg, but if I am under the gun, I will go higher. WIT! (Whatever It Takes)

Dang. Now I have too buy an oven. 😀

Comment

I routinely cambro in my oven, have only had to finish a brisket in my oven once. Like everyone else it was at about 325-350* range. That said, going up another 50 shouldn't matter that much. You were wrapped so that retained the moisture and allowed it to braise in it's own liquid. I'd lower the temp next time but all in all it sounds like you hit the nail on the head.

And next time, take a picture of your work !! Thanks

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I finished in the oven one time when I was running a big brisket on the offset, and it hit about 165F around 1AM, and I was tired of feeding the fire. I moved it to a 225F oven once I wrapped, and went to bed... other than that I've just used the oven in the house for holding meat.

As I started reading your post I thought "UH oh" when I read the start time and the serve time - ya didn't put it on early enough, and then your cook temp strengthened that feeling. But ya pulled it out with the high oven temp. And people loved it. Good. Job.

Comment

Like the rest of the commentators, I have finished in the oven but never that high. I'll keep it in mind though - I am a terrible planner, and I am sure I'll need to do this at some point.

Comment

I haven't, I usually stick to 250ish after wrapping, maybe 275-290 if it looks like I'm behind schedule. But ultimately it's whatever works for you! Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here