Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB’s Pulled Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PB’s Pulled Chuck

I do like QVQ for this (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie) but here is a way to go direct that is pretty much beef and rub.

Prep 30 mins ∙ Cook 9 hrs INGREDIENTS
    • Two or three chuck roasts
    • recipe scaled to:
    • 5 lbs of chuck roast
    • About 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per pound of meat so
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • big bad beef rub or other salt-free rub that works well for beef.
    • 1/4 cup rendered beef tallow (or slightly more beef fat trim)
    • A cast iron dutch oven large enough to contain the beef, but small enough to fit in the smoker.
    • Big bad beef rub: (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...eef-rub-recipe)
    • 3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons mustard powder
    • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
    • 2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
    • 1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder
    • 1 teaspoon cumin ( optional)
    DIRECTIONS

Dry brine chuck roasts with the salt at least overnight, can add rub at the same time if desired and it will stick since the meat is moist out of the package. A generous amount of any (no-salt) rub is advised.

Prepare your smoker for an indirect cook at ~250°F. (can go lower here if you have the time or if you need more smoke, say, on a pellet cooker)

Stage 1: Smoke and bark development

Set beef on smoker grate with a disposable pan below to catch the drippings so you can mix them back in when you put it in the dutch oven later. Need the beef situated on a rack so it gets air and bark development on all sides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C4754411-B1CC-49A2-8672-04D9F3FCAE48.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.98 MB ID:	718608

Cook for about 5 hours, or until it is into the stall and has some good bark development (160-175°F internal depending on bark preference).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_95184.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.08 MB ID:	718616

Stage 2: Braise to tenderness

Oil the inside of a Dutch oven that fits in the smoker.

Put all the juices frim the drip pan into the dutch oven.

Put the tallow in the dutch oven (can also use non-rendered like brisket trimmings, but you’ll have to pick out anything that doesn’t render, later when you pull it and you may need a little more).

Put beef in the dutch oven lid on and into the smoker.
    (May have to cut a bit to fit)

Click image for larger version  Name:	FAF5772F-FCF4-454C-BAA5-0B072097443C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.77 MB ID:	718612

It will seem like there’s too much liquid, but when you pull the beef, most if not all of it will mix in.

Cook until beef is 210-215 °F, (a couple hours or so) check for tenderness for pulling. Can run the smoker higher here, say 275°F+ to make up time if desired. The closed dutch oven won't let much moisture, if any, escape during this stage.

Stage 3: Pull and finish.

Remove beef to a pan or tray where you can pull it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A3CABD3A-FBC0-44D7-B3A7-2DE1AEFAC539.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.82 MB ID:	718611
    Leave all the juices in the dutch oven.

Trim any unrendered fat/gristle you find on the beef while pulling beef apart with a fork.

Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and stir with all the liquid.

Return Dutch oven to smoke with the lid off. Add wood if necessary. The tips of beef sticking out of the liquid will gather more smoke/bark.

Cook for about 1.5 hours back down around 250 °F (or lower as desired).

Remove, and stir well before each serving or dividing up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_95181.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	718614

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_95219.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	718939

Last edited by Polarbear777; July 22, 2019, 07:42 PM.

Looks like some mighty fine eatin'.

Comment

Great write up! Gonna have to try your recipe. I’ve never done pulled chuck before.

Comment

Great write up. That is how my dad cooks their briskets back home. They use Army pots and scoop out the fat as it renders.

Comment

Nice cook, and an excellent writeup. Thanks! Now to find a CI pan that fits my kamado as nicely as yours does your PK-360.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; July 22, 2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t get a shot of the DO with lid on. This square camp chef fits really well and allows for the 15lbs or so I started with this cook.

The camp chef has a small opening in the lid and base for thermometer probes. Lets it seal it well and still have temp readings. Considering grinding that into a couple of my others.
            Last edited by Polarbear777; July 22, 2019, 07:43 PM.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't realize that it's a Camp Chef DO, Polarbear777. Very nice.

Kathryn

i just did this on saturday. never thought of putting it back on once pulled though....that sounds interesting.

Comment

That sir is an excellent write up. That may be a candidate for sticky status !! You really crammed a ton of meat on that cooker.

(Check your pix upload, you have some duplicates carried over, just remove them to clean up)

Comment

Now that's how it's done. Was planning pulled beef for this comming weekend and I just found my method.
              Thank you Sir.

Comment

Great write up PB, that PK360 never ceases to amaze.

Comment

By the way typically folks will add BBQ sauce after the braise step ( Black Swan is a good choice here) but I’m good with no sauce because I usually make massive amounts for leftovers and they are more versatile that way. Can always add sauce when reheating or split at the end and add sauce to half.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm in the no sauce camp when it comes to pulled beef. Maybe add something not sweet after serving.

On deck this week. Planning on smoking a couple of 5 pound chuck roasts on my BGE and finishing in a new CampChef 12 Deluxe Dutch Oven.

Comment

Long cook but tasty. I'll allow for more time in the future. Thanks for the recipe. These make tasty tacos for sure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but I got it now.

Comment

I'm not sure whether to thank you, klflowers , for bringing this topic up. I'm so tempted to get that 8 quart square dutch oven with the opening for a thermometer probe that Polarbear777 used in his OP. Mini MCS attack in progress...

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
                          klflowers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can just order it along with the Fireboard. This site costs way more than the 23 bucks a year lol

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          For sure, klflowers .

K.

Did this one yesterday and it was excellent- thank you

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here