Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

going-down-the-"dry-aged-trail"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going down the "dry aged trail".

Well I finally got my but over to RD and picked up a 14lb Angus boneless ribeye.
    This is my first time trying this Umai home dry aging deal.
    Looking forward to see how this turns out.
    I will see you in 28 days. 😁😬🤔😳😁😁 Click image for larger version

Name:	514CA033-74A9-46DC-8DB9-DD78169B8059.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	718450Click image for larger version

Name:	8197AAE4-22D1-4AA6-8787-C48420417FBE.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	718449

Nice! Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

Looks great! And the seal and adhesion looks good to. Here’s to 28 days!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

You’re gonna love it!

Comment

Oh you're in for a treat, you're gonna love it !! 28 days is my sweet spot and a good starting point. Try longer next time and experiment, you may like a funkier finish. Regardless enjoy this batch !!!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I really need to try this. I should compare a rib primal of our ranch grass fed angus, vs CAB (choice grade 1 or 2), and prime.

can't wait to hear about the results. I've been wanting to try this myself.

Comment

Woop! I love these kind of 'experiments'. I just can't imagine how there will be anything but good results, one way or another.

Comment

whats the difference between using a umai bag or just setting the meat in the frig? I’ve done the latter with good results, but after reading about the product on the umami website, I don’t see the advantage with the bags.

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t know. It’s my first go with this deal.
                  I’ll find out in a month.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Drive on. Look forward to hearing the results.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the bags are one way permeable. They let has and moisture out, but keep bacteria and fungus spores out.

I have tried umai, made lomo, brezaola, and one other pork thing. They were just ok. That is different than using it for dry aging meat, but just to say, if you are thinking about other stuff, that stuff was good, but nothing like what you buy. At least for us amateurs.

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well I sure as heck ain’t no expert in this field by any means. It’s my first go with dry aging of any sort. As I stated before. I!ll find out in a month from now.

Using Umai bags, I've dry aged for 32 & 42 days and preferred the more concentrated 42 day flavor. I have a process that I like. Upon completing the agin process, I cut them into 1.5 inch steaks. I then salt them and add a light seasoning of New Mexico hatch chili , garlic and onion powders. I then vacuum seal two steaks per vacuum seal bag and freeze them. When it's time to cook, I sous vide them from frozen, takes about 2 hours at 126 F and then sear for 2 minutes per side. The last step of the process is rooting around in the wine cellar for a bottle of "big red." Perfection!

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info. I’ll see how these turn out and maybe tweak things in the future.

Ok one week in and I guess it’s looking pretty good 🤔😁 Click image for larger version

Name:	E140D9E3-E691-4828-B977-D771C5909A84.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	721899Click image for larger version

Name:	3C00A944-DD08-424F-8539-37DAA92B5064.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	721898

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here