Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Brisket on a Weber 26"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Brisket on a Weber 26"

This post is really a combination of firsts for me. I recently purchased a Weber 26" kettle to add to my arsenal and ran across a wagyu brisket sold in my local grocery which I have never cooked before. Let's see how well I did.

THE BRISKET

Previously I had posted that during a routine trip to my local grocery, HEB, I happened to eye a rather surprising brisket offering in the brisket meat case. It was labeled as American Wagyu. For those who are unfamiliar, breeders have brought some Japanese Wagyu bulls over here to the States and have cross bred with our Angus and other breeds to produce a product for our market similar to that found in Japan. The Japanese Wagyu production is simply too low to meet the worldwide demand for their product. Most of what I've seen and cooked is somewhere in between prime and true A5 Japanese Wagyu.

I have not had the opportunity to buy and cook an American Wagyu brisket so this got my attention. Cost wise I was looking at $5.99/lb, which for wagyu anything is fairly inexpensive, but 70% higher that the normal price of prime at $3.49/lb. This particular brisket was sourced through Mishima Reserve, a company out of Seattle that regularly sells American Wagyu. According to their website, their briskets sell for about $9.99/lb so not sure why this was marked down, unless it had to do with quality or some sort of volume purchase.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	280.0 KB ID:	718229

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	641.4 KB ID:	718230
    Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	591.1 KB ID:	718231

I stuck in in my meat refrigerator to wet cure for a few weeks until I could get it into my rotation. Upon initial examination it appeared to be about the same as a prime brisket. The thing that set it apart was the rich, dark almost mahogany color of the meat itself. Here it is after I gave it a good trim and applied my salt brine ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	718232

...and just before the cook after 36 hours of curing. Again notice the rich, red color. As far as appearance, once again, it looked about the same as a prime packer only richer in color. So visually, on an A1-5 grading system for wagyu, I'd have to give it an A1 or just slightly above prime.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	962.3 KB ID:	718233
    Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	838.4 KB ID:	718234

THE COOKER

Although I own some high volume cookers, I don't have any charcoal models larger than a 22" kettle or WSM. You can cook a lot of food on either, but for larger volumes of food or large cuts of meat I simply wanted something larger. I've contemplated buying a cabinet smoker but the expenses aren't meeting the needs right now. That led me to just pulling the trigger on a Weber 26" kettle, the 6th Weber product that I own.

Most of you are familiar with the kettle so no need to go through a lot of detail. Price was $320 on Amazon, had it delivered to the house. Of course I had to go whole hog and bought the large SNS and stainless spin grate to have immediate low and slow capabilities....

Click image for larger version  Name:	web 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	853.8 KB ID:	718235
    Click image for larger version  Name:	web 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	918.6 KB ID:	718236

...and of course I had to pimp my ride by add a fan port for my Pit Viper fan (for full automation) and a probe bladder to feed all my Fireboard probes into the belly of the beast....

Click image for larger version  Name:	web 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	414.8 KB ID:	718237Click image for larger version  Name:	web 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	566.1 KB ID:	718238

So what better way to inaugurate this puppy then to cook an American Wagyu full packer!! So that brings us to ......

THE COOK

I normally run about 275* for larger hunks of meat like briskets and pork butts. So I hooked up my Fireboard/Pit Viper setup, a full load of charcoal (with about a dozen lit in a chimney to start things off) along with 4-5 hunks of pecan and cherry. Now I realize there may be some raised eyebrows as to the use of fruit wood, but it wasn't by design, I was simply out of oak and mesquite so what the heck?

Of course the kettle came to life and responded beautifully. Did take about 30 minutes to ramp up from 100* to 275* but that was to be expected. Once at 275* it stayed there rock solid for 3 hours, no issues whatsoever. What was unusual is the speed in which the brisket got up to temp. Within an hour it was at 85*, hour 2 it shot up to 135* and by hour 3 was pushing 175*. There was really no sign of a stall. I only lifted the lid twice to spritz with some beef stock but other than that it was getting close to being done in record time, at least for me anyway. I've noticed this with other cuts of wagyu, it has to be the heavy marbling and fat content that renders and allows for faster internal cooking.

So at hour 3 I temp'd it with my Thermapen and I had readings of 165* on up to 200* and probe tender in about 50% of the packer. Decided it was time to wrap in pink paper. Did so and placed it back on the kettle and raised my Fireboard temp to 300* and let her roll. Within 1 1/2 hours my two meat probes said 198* and 203* respectively so off she came. It felt probe tender everywhere I probed and was a big, massive piece of jello. Left the whole thing wrapped in paper on a sheet tray, covered in two layers of foil and popped it into a 170* oven for the next 3 hours (mainly because no one was home to eat yet).

Here's the meteorite fresh out of the oven and onto the chopping board.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	706.3 KB ID:	718239

Here is the initial cut from the very end of the flat. It was very tender and juicy. In fact this may be the best flat, in terms of texture, tenderness and juiciness, that I have cooked to date. These end cuts are generally on the dry side but not these, they were more like center cut. Also began upping my use of celery seed to promote a better smoke ring. Although smoke rings don't really matter to the flavor, it does make for a nicer presentation, was happy with that result...

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	848.4 KB ID:	718240

So what is the verdict and takeaway from this cook? My initial assessment was a grade A1 American Wagyu brisket visually. After the cook I think I might up that a bit and maybe go A2 quality. It was defiantly better than prime in terms of cook time, taste and tenderness. Here's a quick shot of the wrap test. What you don't see is I jiggled it for about 2 seconds and it split in two from my finger, so if anything I may have slightly overcooked it. It was almost at the pot roast stage but remained beefy and smokey as you would want in brisket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	713.6 KB ID:	718241

The negatives? Probably the cost. The reason I've never tried American Wagyu brisket is because I doubted the bang for the buck was there. At least this gave me a chance to try it at a reasonable price. But was it 70% better than a good Costco or HEB prime cut? I don't think so. That being said I'd buy another just to have it for special occasions.

Although, as I've said, it had tremendous finish in the flat, when I got to the point it was a different story. Was so busy eating by this time that I didn't take pictures, but the other negative was the abundant fattiness of this part. It was almost too much. Fat was laced throughout and you had to carve a lot away to get to the meat itself. That's one of the things that's sort of off putting to me with A5 true Japanese Wagyu, is too much fat. This was sort of that way.

All in all it was a good cook. Got to break in a new cooker and cook something new to break it in with. Hope you enjoyed the journey, here are a few parting shots of this really good American Wagyu brisket cook....Trout is out !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 10.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	718243Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	615.9 KB ID:	718242Click image for larger version  Name:	wag 12.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.95 MB ID:	718244

Last edited by Troutman; July 21, 2019, 11:12 AM.

Great write up Trout! That looks amazing and now I’m super hungry. Congrats on the new cooker btw!

Comment

Excellent write up and cook. Next time your cooking a Wagu let me know and I will show with 1/2 dozen drunk friends.....

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Let’s meet half way, maybe Costa Rica, you bring the Pit 👍

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        ohhhh...talk dirty to me!

Really nice write up and pics. I need to get a Webber, haven't had one in 20 years. I agree, the flat on mine came out tender and juicy.

I've cooked two HEB wagyu briskets now (and have another in the freezer) - both were the best briskets I've ever made. Funny - I didn't notice any difference in cooking time, they both took 12+ hours but I'm using a large offset stick burner. Yes, they cost more than a prime brisket, but are cheaper than the mail order ones I've seen (not sure what grade those are but - $200??, I'll pass) so for special occasions when I'm trying to impress I'll be cooking an HEB wagyu.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen several people cook at 325* and plan to try this. Some of the Central Texas BBQ places cook at a higher temp and their briskets are amazing.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I left the door on the pit open and got busy with other things on todays cook. Temp got to 430f before I de tuned it back to 350f. Was running a little late due to waiting on the guys erecting the awning.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I may ramp up to 300* but if I can get one done in 6 hours at 275* I’m good. Cook too fast and I think you compromise a deep bark, buts that’s my experience.

That looks great and even tastes better I bet. I have cooked a few SRF Black Wagyu and noticed that they don't take as long. Thank you and congrats on the new grill, enjoy.
      Last edited by ofelles; July 21, 2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Buttery smooth for sure

Great write up and a heck of a good job there
      I have had a Wagyu A5 sirloin and it was a one and done experience
      Flavor is great but after a few bites I was ,,,,,,,I like bacon fat better if you know what I mean
      It was too pricey to not finish eating it

Comment

Nice Troutman a new toy and a great brisket all in one, can't beat that.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a fun cook on several levels

Love the Weber 26” , such a great cooker! Beautiful brisket cook !

Comment

Thanx. Great write up and photos.

Comment

how was bark development on such a short cook? Been eyeballing the HEB Waygu Packers for about 6 months, but the primes are so good, I figured ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              They are selling like hot cakes here, saw a guy in the store this afternoon buy 3 of them. I’m probably going back to prime due to cost. There’s also the grass fed ones, that cook is coming up !!!

Awesome. I have been using my 26 more and more over my 22. I think with the increased air volume and air flow helps for a "cleaner" cook. No science to back that up, just observation and experience.

Comment

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman I just got a Thermoworks Signals/Billows combo that I will be testing out on one of my 22s. Didn't want to drill a hole in my 26 until I am sure I like it. But I am eyeing another 26 on Craigslist for $180...

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              JoeSousa that's a good deal on a used 26" as long as its in good shape. It's next to impossible to find anything good on Clist here, when they show up they are literally gone in a matter of hours.

I also purchased the Signals and am pretty impressed with it. What I don't like is the app, it simply has too many bugs in it. Mine won't even show any graphs for instance. I've been on the phone with them and they said they are working on an upgrade. Until they get that fixed I'm not upgrading.

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman This one has been listed for about a week now. It is in pretty good shape overall. No dents or dings but it has been used a bit. The grill grate looks good. It is only the 2nd 26 I have seen pop up and the other one is sitting in my backyard. It is about an hour away and my wife is due with a baby any minute now so I don't want to go get it now. Maybe if it is still available after the baby comes I will make him an offer.

Troutman Great write up. Do you think it would benefit to separate the point and flat? Cook at different temps? Maybe render more fat from the point....

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are referring to my comment about the fat content, it was the unrenderable deckle fat I was referring to. The intermuscular fat and collagen were completely rendered and flowing like a cascade. Wagyu just has more fat, especially in the fatty point section. Is what it is, don't think separation would make any difference.

Looks amazing, those flat end slices really do look better than most I've seen. Thanks for the killer write up, and congrats on the new pimped out 26er!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks I'm very happy with that 26" kettle so far !!

once again i find my self jealous of texas. great cook.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't have to be from Texas to cook great bbq.

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              was more referring to HEB, lol

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Got ya, yea we are blessed with good sourcing of excellent beef here. Grass fed and even Wagyu is showing up as every day offerings. It's like the Disneyland of meat !!!

The Weber 26 is a great hot and fast cooker. I too pimped mine with the Pit Viper fan port and SNS/Spin grate. The only thing I did is remove the hinged part of the spin grate because I just never used that part of the grate very much. I also hated having to open it to add charcoal when I had a large hunk of meat in the way. I’m glad I did.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That was a minor inconvenience for sure, I ditched the one on my 22" as well. There was also something I did not mention, I went through a full load of charcoal in that big SNS with 4 wood chunks in about 3 1/2 hours at 275* constant temp. That did not make me very happy, but the cook didn't take much longer so I only need a few more briquettes to finish.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the downsides to hot and fast for sure.

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              i too, have the hinged part just sitting in my shed. never sear on my kettle since i got my little napoleon. im just glad it comes off, one of the attractions imo

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here