Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook From Hell!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, now under 150 and it's 10:22AM.....Guests said running late so not here till 2PM AHHHHHHHHHH

Firing the Primo back up with a set temp of 155, gonna put it back on wrapped.

Gonna be a vodka day for sure!!!!!

Comment

Dude don't sweat it. With all those hours of smoke it ain't going to grow much bacteria if it drops below 140. Just drop it in the warm oven when the guests get there. Next time consider cooking at 300-325f and get some sleep. Most of my briskets are done in under 6 hours.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the words of encouragement.....I appreciate it.

Don't sweat it. 210 for an 18 pound brisket isn't the end of the world. I predict your guests will love it. Remember Meathead's motto: "Cooking for others is an act of love and the most important part of the meal is not what's on the plate, but who's in the chairs around the table". Relax and enjoy the day with your friends.

BBQ is like sex. When it's good it's really good. And when it's bad, it's still pretty good!
      Last edited by bep35; July 20, 2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        So true, so true on both parts.....Thank you for the encouragement.

Crazy night for sure. I'm sure the cook will be fine. Surely can't control those guest. If they complain about anything, just tell them to suffer in silence!

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, guests loved it, thank you for the words of encouragement.

Quit opening the Cambro your letting the heat out, also put a pan of boiling water in there. It will increase your length of time you can hold it.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Never opened it....Fed the temp probe through the water drain and plugged with a kitchen rag

About now is when you tell us how good it turned out. The ones that seem to go sideways always turn out the best.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Crazy the way that works....You are right it did turn out great!!!

There are cooks where everything goes perfect and the final product is just ok. Others where everything goes off the rails and it is excellent. You will be just fine.

My last brisket cook did pretty much the same as yours. Got everything set temp-wise, went to church, and came back to a 350 degree cooker and a 210 degree brisket. Was one of t h.g.h e best I have cooked.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the words of encouragement!! And you were right the cook turned out great, mush to my surprise.

Apologies for the late post. Got into the Tito's and got a little sloppy. So someone help me here....Is a prime brisket really that much more forgiving than choice? I cooked a number of choice in previous years and even when I thought I nailed the cook it was not great. I cook my first Prime on memorial day....can't get the brisket to temp, not a good cook, yet the brisket was very good and my guests loved it.
      Yesterday I think I overcooked the shit out of this thing, done way too early etc. etc and I cook THE BEST BRISKET I HAVE EVER COOKED!!! IT WAS AWSOME!!! There are two variables that I think played a role in this, Prime Brisket, as stated above and This website.

On this site I learned about Faux Cambro's, I learned about wrapping and holding (Texas crutch), I learned about good quality thermometers, I learned about food temp and safety, I learned about quality temp controllers, I learned about quality charcoal......Come to think of it I learned about Prime Brisket here too.

So Thank you, to the Pit, to the Pit Members, and to Meathead. I pulled off yesterdays cook because of the knowledge and encouragement of this site and its members!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Well hell, all's well that ends well, eh? Glad it worked out for you and the brisket looks great.

• djl
        djl commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you were able to eek out an incrediblely delicious and fantastic looking meal! 😎

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad it turned out well. I put it down to 65% the pitmaster and 35% Tito's Yep big fatty chunks of meat are very forgiving..

Congrats on that cook! Nice save with the Primo/Smobot 150° setting until your guests arrived. Looks delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!

It looks delicious, congrats! I've been following this journey since yesterday morning. Happy to read your post/see your finished pics with my morning coffee. So, would you recommend Creekstone prime briskets to others? Was thinking of using them for my next cook.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        I would I think they sent a really good product and I very much liked that it came fresh and not frozen .

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. You buy anything else from them, or just the brisket?

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoking77 No just the briskets

Your brisket came out looking fantastic. Kudos. To be honest, from you post title I thought your end result was going to be like my last brisket cook.....a complete disaster. Glad it came out well. Meat looks very moist.

Comment

Glad things turned out, especially for your guests. Yea prime and better briskets are a little more forgiving because they have so much more inter muscular fat. That speeds up the cook and gives you a wider window of success.

As a critique and not being picky but picture number two above appears to be cut with the grain instead of against it. Pay attention to that, it can make the difference between a tender slice and a chewy one.

The comment above about placing in an oven is false. I regularly oven cambro mine at 170* and shut off the heat after 1 hour to let it ramp down. I double wrap in foil so no loss of moisture from the dry heat. Works as well as any false cambro I’ve used.

Finally, relax, up your heat a little to cut time and you’ll be a pro after this. They’ll be asking when you’re going to open your bbq restaurant!!👍

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank for the advice an yes I did mess up the slice when I got to the point. I just kept slicing in the same direction as the flat. Live an learn. I will hit it with the heat next time, and while I appreciate the restaurant vote of confidence, I think I have a long way to go! Thanks again!!

I'm glad it turned out well for you. All you need to do is keep screwing up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here