Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on Weber Kettle: Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast on Weber Kettle: Questions

Hi All,

First, I apologize if this post is redundant, but most info I've found thus far has been for PBC's. I've seen one post on the Weber, but I missed the cooking temp info.

I have a 22.5 Weber Kettle. Accessory options include Vortex and Smokenator.

I have a 3.19lb BNLS Chuck Roast, which will be my first on the cooker. So, here are my questions.

1. What temp are you cooking at? I can pretty much control 225 - 350. I'm getting pretty good with fuse and Vortex, but I wonder if the Smokenator would be better in this case.

2. What's your setup if you do use the Smokenator?

3. Do you crutch? If not, do you have any stats on how long a stall might last? If you crutch, do you just add some beef broth like with a brisket?

4. I've seen IT goals such as 203 and above. Is this the norm even if you just plan on slicing, or is it just for pulling, or both?

5. Dry Brine. Some say they wrap in saran wrap, others leave uncovered. Is it really OK to leave the meat overnight in the fridge uncovered?

6. Does anyone inject? If so, when do you inject vs. laying salt for the Dry Brine?

Unfortunately, I will need to foodsaver and freeze this clod as it may be up to two weeks before I can cook it.

As always, I appreciate all that you do.

--Ed

I leave meat uncovered all the time in the fridge, just did that with 2 full packers.

I would:

1. Dry brine for 48 hours, then rub down and freeze.

2. Cook with the vortex with a nice long snake around the edge, perhaps a 2x2 configuration. Little cherry wood. Water pan above the burning coals that I can move with the flame every so often.

3. 225-250 would be alright. Not saying anything higher would hurt.

4. Cook to pull. Wrapping based on time constrictions. Not sure if bark can get too dark for me.

No injection, maybe a little water if I wrap, just to have a little moisture in there to start.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 15, 2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod,

Unfortunately, the chuck went in the freezer about an hour or so ago. So next time, I'll keep your brining and rub instructions in mind - for sure!

Yeah, I can run the V with a 2 x 2. So I can handle this cook as the roast is about the same weight as the last brisket, i.e., I know what to expect time-wise.

Got plenty of different size pans.

--Ed

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal. Need total surface "defrostation" in order for rub to adhere.

I did 2 last week (total weight just over 5 lbs) over the Vortex, wide end up. Temp ranged between 225-250, with more time at the higher end. I did a BBBR & salt brine overnight; no injection. I used a 3x2 fuse around the Vortex with a couple/few chunks of pecan & oak, and a water pan. It stalled in the 140 range for nearly 3 hours. I wrapped it at 170, no broth. Took it off at 207, which I've found is my magic number. Total cook time was about 6:40. Since it was cold outside, I rested it in a 200 degree oven instead of a cambro for about an hour after. It's been good eating - sandwiches with provolone, nachos, etc.

Comment

Sounds like Jerod has you covered, pretty interested though in the fuse. I have been doing more on my Weber lately now that I have gotten much better at fire control. I see most people do a 2x2 or 3x2 but I have had great consistency with 2x1. This morning I created a 2x1 fuse around half of the grate, with the bottom grate closed and top almost totally open I maintained 225 within 5 degrees for about 3 hours, then I cracked the bottom and closed the top a bit and stayed right around 275 for another 4 hours before it died. Really impressed with how efficient this thing is with such little fuel, I am confident I can get 14 hours at 225 on a 2x1 ring all the way around. This thing is awesome when i'm not cooking enough to use the PBC, it has always been able to, I just never knew how to control it.

Comment

Medusa I did a chuck roast smoke a few weeks ago (it was quite cold outside) on my 22" Weber, if anything in it helps you. It's here.

Comment

Medusa,

Jerod covered just about everything. I've done a couple of chuck roasts with the Smokenator and they turned out great. I would use water in it for most of the cook and toward the end I would let it run dry to ensure good bark. 225-250 are easily achieved and maintained with the Smokenator. I've always (except when I cooked a turkey) used the water pan that comes with it. I've used the Smokenator several times and it always produced really good results. In my experience I have found that water needs to be added once per hour, the ash needs to be knocked off the coals once every other hour and at the 4 hour mark you'll want to add coals if you need to cook longer, but at that stage you have enough burn still going on that you won't need to light your coals, the fire is still strong enough that adding unlit coals is just a continuation of the Minion method. Fortunately, with a hinged grate all of this tending is quick and easy.

Comment

Thanks to All,

I've got this covered with the V. Since the clod is small, it will fit within the V. BBBR is a must! Appreciate all advice regarding water, cambro, etc.

Let's Pig!

--Ed

Comment

The thing I like about fuses, it ain't hard to salvage unconsumed charcoal.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                True! Learned about them here.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here