Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife decided it was time for me to smoke another brisket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife decided it was time for me to smoke another brisket...

so Saturday I cleaned up the Weber Smoky Mountain, and got everything in place to get it started early Sunday morning. Got up at 5 a.m., slathered the 14# choice brisket with French's yellow mustard, sprinkled it with a 1/4 cup of Morton's kosher salt, 1/4 cup of #16 butcher black pepper, and a couple of tablespoons of paprika, lit the coals (KCBB), and sat back.

I cooked it at about 270- 275, so it got done a little quicker than you might expect (11-1/2 hrs., plus an hour resting. I had the time, so I made a loaf of English Muffin bread (shout out to King Arthur Flour for the recipe).

I got the pictures a little out of order. The 4th one down was about 3 hours into the cook. The rest are pretty much self-explanatory. I need to up my photo game, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	714577Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	714578Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	714579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	714580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	714581Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	714582

YUMMM! Next time I'd like to encourage you to salt her up the night before, or even 2 days before. Forgive me, I know you didn't ask for critiques. It looks great though and I don't doubt it was plenty tasty.

Comment

• btuckertx
      btuckertx commented
      Editing a comment
      I kicked that idea around, but didn't know enough to pull the trigger. If I do that, would I slather, salt and pepper, or just salt?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      btuckertx No slather, just trim it up and salt it (dry brine) at 1/2 tsp coarse Kosher salt per lb of trimmed meat, or half that (1/4tsp) table salt per lb trimmed meat. Store it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap until cook time, then season the other spices just before tossing on the smoker! If you store it in a steel pan don't cover it in foil, only plastic wrap or no cover.

Looks good!!! I was just telling my wifey that we need some brisket.

Comment

Looks good, I did a 16 pounder this weekend in my Weber Smoky (just fit) at 225, it took about 9 hours before I wrapped in foil with apple juice for another 2 hours. I took out at 200 degrees and let it rest for an hour. Yummy. I should have taken pictures.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed!

• btuckertx
        btuckertx commented
        Editing a comment
        I've cooked several at around 270 (as Franklin recommends) with very good luck - nice 'jiggle'. I may try the lower temperature next time, though, as this one wasn't exactly where I thought it should be. And, yeah, I've been forgetting to take photos for several years and dozens of cooks.

Beautimous brisky, Brother!

I love th pig shaped cuttin board in pic 1, an also noticed that our almost matchin stoves(mine's a Whirlpool) have purty much th same salt an pepper shakers...

It's great to see somebody besides my dang ol self is still usin a percolator, an th antique toaster is priceless, as well!

Reckon what I'm sayin is, an mean as a compliment, that yer kitchen jus looks like/feels like home to me, an I would be very comfortable, there...

Mebbe I'll even put me up some beadboard panellin, I likeys that look/feel, an my landlord has always given me free reign to do as I please, as long as I take care of th place...

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        btuckertx, Mr. Bones, I have a percolator too!!! It makes the best coffee. I only pull it out when I feel like treating myself or there is a crowd around, since the wife is not a coffee drinker.

• btuckertx
        btuckertx commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife is responsible for all decor and appliance decisions, thankfully. She even made the pig her own self. Also put up the bead board herself. She let me help with the solid oak countertops.

You done good. Like Huskee says put a 1/2tsp of salt per lb on it the night before. The 270 degree is what I smoke all my briskets at and have been doing so for many years, so your good there. Slather it just before putting it on and your fine.

Keep on cooking and man that looks like some fine eating

Comment

That looks mighty tasty. And I agree - dry brine two or three days in advance to give the salt time to penetrate as deep as possible.

Comment

Outstanding briskie achievement, keep up the good work !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini hands clapping.gif
Views:	172
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	714686

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here