Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook/smoke a flat brisket?(w/o point part)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook/smoke a flat brisket?(w/o point part)

So how do I smoke/cook a plain, flat-cut brisket? (I am not worried about bark) This is NOT apacker cut with point, it is just the flat part, fresh in a sealed bag. It is between 2-3 inches thick with a nice fat cap. Having problems finding anything here with my advanced searches.

Here’s a good place to start. Some education and several recipes to be had there. https://amazingribs.com/searchresults/Brisket%20flat

Comment

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I had seen this result page, but just was not finding anything abouf the flat only, except on some of the pastrami pages.

Flats can be a tough cook on their own, they have a tendency to get dry. See Meathead's info above. Think about wrapping towards the end of the cook. Key is how they probe (like buttah) not so much temp. Keep an eye and probe when it get above 180. The grade of the meat is also important with the fat content (marbling).

Comment

If you have a sous vide machine you might want to look at this post for pointers, https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-step-by-step I just did a flat to 155 degrees following the instructions and it turned out fabulous.

Comment

Remove all but a 1/4 inch of fat from it. Use a simple rub of equal parts salt to pepper. Wrap tight in foil or cling wrap. Do this the afternoon before you want to cook it this will allow the salt to dry brine the flat. Take it out the next day and set up your grill for indirect cooking at about 250-275. Why so hot this will power it right through the stall and there is enough fat in the brisket not to be effected by the heat.
        Good luck and hope you have a wonderful meal.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 12, 2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I do flats the exact same as a full packer. I like to leave between 1/4" to 1/2", erring in the side of leaving more fat cap than less on flats. Dry brine 24-48hrs in advance if you can, at 1/2tsp coarse Kosher salt per lb meat. I really like Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub, but it's quite bold as its name implies, don't overdo it if you use it. I typically cook 225-250, and find that flats tend to take pretty darn close to the same amount of time as a packer too, my average is ~10hrs on heat (~7-8 unwrapped until out of the stall, plus maybe another 2 wrapped in foil to 200ish), and ~2hr faux cambro, ~12 total. Sometimes, if it's a thin flat, I might see 1-2hrs less.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I am leaning at this time towards doing a "hot and fast" cook, like mountain smoker recommended. I will dry brine the day before and use the high heat to "power" through the stall (I hopes!). And I might just smoke a couple of hours then wrap it close, leave the top open and continue to cook it in its own juices. We will see.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here