Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Round Roast Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Round Roast Temp?

I am roasting a top round on my weber kettle on indirect heat for a graduation party. I am going to slice it and use it as roast beef for au jus sandwiches. What internal temperature should I cook it to? I am concerned about carry over cooking and it cooking more when it is in the au jus sauce, but at the same time do not want it too rare. I was planning on cooking it to 130 and submerging it in ice to prevent carry over cooking. Has anyone done this before?

I believe Meathead has something on the free side like Baltimore Beef????

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Check this out.

amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/amped-roast-beef-cheap-baltimore-pit-beef-recipe

• Parina51
      Parina51 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats it! Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a page like somewhere but couldn't find it.

Rare. 110°ish Let carryover do the rest.

Comment

Hawk didn't post the recipe correctly from the free side, here it is;

Baltimore Pit Beef

I've never done it myself but this is generally how I do a rib roast, he describes the Pit Beef the same way. Cook low and slow until about 115* internal then sear it all over until you reach medium rare which is generally 130-135* for most folks. He also goes on to say, and I tend to agree, that you should not rest it too long or carryover may bring it up to medium. I generally let it sit on the cutting board for 15-20 minutes to let the juices reabsorb, then carve (or slice in the case of Pit Beef).

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Troutman I think you may have found my cure for licking windows!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - please be careful if you are licking a wooden cutting board...

• Parina51
        Parina51 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the help! I’ve got it going now.

Troutman I do a similar approach.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7102A75E-24FB-444E-ADDE-D73C3E60961D.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	712358Click image for larger version

Name:	85DB85FF-BD72-4E43-8E04-EF163264AE05.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	712351 Baltimore pit beef is very good...and the sauce. I do both..nuff said..nuff said

Name:	B91C4837-14A9-473C-BE7B-CF0B726B0FB2.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	712345

Name:	E2BB9BAC-95A1-4AED-95D4-F3BAE5139C93.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	712346

Name:	8773AB67-AF0E-4779-8F1D-9B4ECD5C86FA.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	712347

Name:	A6A9FBA9-F0C2-4BF0-B52C-6D11581FC815.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	712348

Name:	C4229CC6-6B8C-4AD0-BA64-85276A6CD39E.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	712354Click image for larger version

Name:	917D2FFE-2EA3-40DB-9AE4-B225117E24BE.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	712353
        Attached Files

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          You Gotta be happy with that it looks awesome

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          So we see you make that delicious beef, so what’s your technique??

• Parina51
          Parina51 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome thanks for sharing

Nuke em that looks like mighty fine eaten.

Comment

Boom, hit that one outta the park.
          I did one of these a few weeks back, smoked to internal temp of 130.
          Mine looked a bit rarer than yours but could just be the pic.
          The meat slicer really helps with the presentation, gotta get me one of those.

Comment

Those were taken awhile ago last year. Was folllowing the Baltimore pit beef recipe. Only difference was I put it on a rotisserie and took it up to temp then reverse seared. Also sprinkled more rosemary as it was spinning. The sauce that was liked best was the one with horseradish. And don’t forget the onion. The meat slicer makes a world of difference when slicing thin. That be some good eatin for us po men.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here