Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib tips

So, I've done 3 prime rib cooks now, with varied success. 1st was bone-in and the most recent two were boneless. 1st comment is that i personally can't tell a huge flavor difference between the two.

My second cook was last Christmas. I rushed it to appease hungry in laws and was disappointed in my work. I've learned that it's imperative to keep temps 225 or under so it doesn't turn gray on the outer ring.

My most recent cook was the 2nd half of the Christmas roast that i over wrapped and froze. Actually it's my best one yet, but i want to elevate it further.

I tried injecting, but have realized that it's ineffective and unnecessary. All it does it discolor the injection site.

I've got two remaining hurdles to jump before I'll really be happy with my results

1. Smoke flavor. I use my WSM. The flavor is a bit bitter instead of pleasant and rich. I use one or two small chunks of cherry and use a snake type method for the coals. I wait around 1hr before putting the meat on. I run it at 225 on the dot. Top vent wide open with an empty water pan.

2. Fat rendering. I managed a perfect medium rare, but the center fat is a little hard and not buttery as I'd like. Could just be the cut perhaps, but i know it could be better. I think i will sear after smoking for my next cook, too.

help, constructive criticism, and tips are very welcome.
    Attached Files

Those look good from where I'm sitting.
    I haven't done that many roasts but agree on not injecting, its not for everyone.
    Never cook with the bone in/on.
    Do you flip the roast at any time, I flip my roast so each side faces the heat to help with the smoke.
    You don't mention inside temp, are you using a meat probe/thermometer, I aim for 203 inside temp.
    Look forward to other input.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I always cook prime ribs with the bone on. I do cut it off, apply rub all over, then tie the bones back on. Makes slicing a lot easier.

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe prime rib is a tender cut of meat, and doesn't need connective tissue melted (by cooking to an IT of 203.)

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      (SmokinG) Pat you are quite correct, I'm as confused as ever.....IT 120-130 for roasts I cook though I've never done prime rib, kinda outta my pay grade.
      203 is pork butt/shoulder temp.
      Thank you for picking up on my mistake.

The looks really good. Definitely give it a sear post-smoking. As far as the fat goes, a big chunk of fat like that isn't likely to render much.

Comment

• CBM87
      CBM87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair enough. I wonder if there's any value in dropping cooking temp to 210 or so to add some time to help the fat. I've had some at restaurants that just sort of melts, but that could just be the cut of meat.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd say that isn't going to do you much good. Some fat, particularly if it is quite hard when cold, simply won't render much.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that. It especially won't render since the prime rib is only being taken to rare or medium rare, versus brisket-like temperatures of around 200F. Fat just doesn't melt/soften much at 135F internal temp, and I doubt time will help.

That does like good.
    Have done a couple of prime roasts at 250F. Seared both times at 450F after reaching 110F-115F. One just with a rub the other had garlic cloves inserted and then rubbed. both turned out great. I think searing them makes it.

Comment

• CBM87
      CBM87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll try the searing for sure next time.

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
    Those look good from where I'm sitting.
    I haven't done that many roasts but agree on not injecting, its not for everyone.
    Never cook with the bone in/on.
    Do you flip the roast at any time, I flip my roast so each side faces the heat to help with the smoke.
    You don't mention inside temp, are you using a meat probe/thermometer, I aim for 203 inside temp.
    Look forward to other input.
    I don't flip, but I could see the value. I cook to 125 internal and hold it a bit to get 130-135 for medium rare. I use a dual probe. thermometer. My first pic (the rounder one) was purchased bone-in and carved.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for mis-information, I was wrong on the inside temp when I said 203,
      should be for +/-130ish like you say.
      Man my memory is crap, another member has been promoting keeping a diary of everything you cook for reference....I think I'd better start writing things down....aah crap I'll forget to do that too....

I have done several on the bbq rotisserie. What I do is indirect until I hit the 115 mark and then throw on the infra-red burner where I cook around 300 degrees. Once it’s browned up and nice and crispy check for 125-130 and then let it rest. I do cook with bones off as I make a nice gravy with them. By the way the pics of yours look really good. A nice rub with fresh herbs and spices makes for a nice crust.

Comment

• CBM87
      CBM87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. By no means was it bad. Just not amazing. Unfortunately PR isn't under $2/lb like pork so I can't practice as cheaply haha. Just searching for what takes pretty good to great.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I love using the rotisserie on my Weber kettle for rib roasts.

In my neck of the woods, Rib Roast go on sale for 1/2 off every Christmas and Easter. I'll buy a whole rib primal, cut it up into two bone steaks, and vacuum pack/freeze them. Nice roasts for the whole year.

Pretty rib roast. Does need some color on it. And as mentioned, hard fat doesn't render, but I've never seen a rib roast, boneless or bone in, with hard fat.

Comment

I hear ya and nothing worse on a holiday and it doesn’t come out like you wanted. Happened to me with a pork crown roast, I was annoyed but everyone liked it.

Comment

butchers prime beef injection does not leave track marks like those above. I use oak and mesquite on beef including prime rib. It it true prime prime rib, or is it choice/select rib roast? If choice or select, the fat is in larger pieces and veins instead of being marbled. This will lead to the fat issue. I use prime prime rib. One thing to remember, there will always be a fat seam between the spinalis (ribeyecap) and the eye. There are a Couple of ways to deal with this. You can remove the spinalis and the fat seam and just cook the eye. The animals makes for a fine steak in itself. You can also trim back the spinalis leaving one end attached, remove the fat vein, and then lay the cap back down. Secure it with either twine while cooking or use glutamate based meat glue (this is how Delmonico steaks are made). Remember, usually the higher the grade of the beef, the more finely the marbeling will be with less large deposits. Waygu fat seems to render at a lower temperature as well so they make great prime rib roasts (Waygu rib roasts). Hope this helps.

Comment

If you are interested, pm me and I can give you my whole Prime rib recipe. Otherwise I won't bore or clutter up here any more.

Comment

Figured I'd update this thread with a more recent prime rib cook. I absolutely loved this round. I had it on the smoker until 120 and then brushed on a bunch of herb butter and threw it on my piping hot gasser for a sear. It was a winner!
            Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh may,
              excellent,

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a cut from the small end. Big cap and part of the chuck. Delicious.

Now you're talking!

Comment

Not much to improve on the most recent pics in humble opinion

Comment

Looks great man!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here