Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Question(s) of the day - Chuckie(y)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Question(s) of the day - Chuckie(y)

I looked in the glossary but did not see anything.......Is a Chuckie a Chuck Roast? If so do you make it like pulled pork, only Salt and Pepper for rub? And last but not least are we shooting for 203deg like for brisket.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newbie question. Thinking of trying this weekend.

Yes, and easier to cook than brisket!

Comment

Probe tender or desired texture is the goal. Those suckers can go to 210° sometimes. Wonderfully delicious!

Comment

Thank you!!!

Comment

I like to use big bad beef rub located on the free side for the rub. And just pull if taking it to 208-210. Some people like it better than brisket. I get em cut in 3 in thick cuts

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

Read this topic, pjlstrat :

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

and watch this video:

They should get you up to speed quickly.

HTH,
          Kathryn

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome video, thank you so much.

I am not an expert by any means. But I question whether you were using a phone or other devise. If I use my phone I am restricted to what you ran into. If I use my Ipud ( as Mr. Bones would say ) there is a little bar titled reference. I enter chuckie or chuck roast and all sorts of stuff pops up. Hope that helps.
          Last edited by FireMan; July 11, 2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            It does.....I found all sorts of posts on Chuckie but was unclear of what cut it was. Thank you.

Like a pork butt, you can slice or pull depending on your preference. To get it tender enough to pull takes a lot of cooking and holding, but that is my preferred way. And yes, I would keep the rub simple. I'll use Montreal steak seasoning on occasion, but usually just salt, pepper and garlic.

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

I'm with everyone. Cook it! Ya need to get your dry brine on as soon as possible. Ya want 24 hours or more if possible. If you want to slice it, I suggest pulling of the grill before it reaches probe tender, slice in half with the grain, stand on the cut side and slice against the grain. This procedure makes it easier to slice and has an easier chew that slicing with the grain.

Dibs on that first outside slice with all the bark.

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do and that slice is yours!!!! Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here