Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear with oven, any experience at 180ºF, or 200º

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear with oven, any experience at 180ºF, or 200º

I've been dry aging (UMAI for 30-40 days) and reverse searing over wood or sear station on a Weber. All from Costco, one boneless rib roast, two loin strips. All have been great. The first I did in the oven with convection at 220 F, to internal temp of 120-124. The last one I did at 200 in the oven, took a little longer. I also pull them, and wait for dinner to be almost ready before searing. They have sat up to two hours after the oven slow cook.
    Today I cleaned and cut up my 45 day Costco whole prime rib-in primal. Tomorrow I feed 12 adults and 5 kids with this. The steaks are thick, nearly 2" (due to the rib size.)
    I was wondering about the oven portion cooking at 190, or maybe 180 (or lower?) I have read Meathead's info, and he recommends 225 F in part because folks are using their outdoor cooking apparatus, and he feels 225 is a more achievable target. With the more controlled temp in the oven, I think I could go lower. I think of it as halfway between sous vide and 225 on a grill with indirect heat. The sear will be with turning every 15-20 secs until ready.

So, I'm looking for your opinions, bad experiences, etc.

Thanks

Daniel
    ps: the photos from today didn't load in the order I selected them, so you get the fun of figuring out their proper order.
    Attached Files

I routinely cook prime beef to 110° or lower and hold at 150°-160° and they come out fantastic.

Not speaking to food safety but you can cook lower but I don’t see why in an oven. 200°+/- should be just fine.

Did your last meat rest up too far? I’ve been known to pull meat at 100°.

Comment

I do steaks in the sous vide for ease-of-use and to ensure I don't go over my target temp. But if you have a good thermometer, you shouldn't overshoot your target temp in the oven. I've done a few reverse sear steaks in the oven, ranging from 200 degrees-230 degrees and haven't noticed a difference. That's just me though.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just agreeing with HouseHomey. Lower than 200 degrees is going to add time to the cook, but not improve tase, in my opinion. Great looking steaks!

I do not understand your question. Have you cut up a prime rib into 2" steaks. Now you want to reverse sear in the oven before searing on the grill. Is this correct? If so fire up your grill your grill to a high heat and sear the prime ribs for the time it takes it takes to brings them to Med-rare. Just not sure what sure what sure are asking.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me clarify. Bake in oven at 200°F to internal temp of 120, allow 30-45 minutes until rest of meal ready. Then sear on Argentinien grill over wood.

One thing to be aware of is that an indoor oven tends to have a good bit of a swing to its control system. I've monitored my oven, and set to 225F, the oven would swing from 195 to 250 constantly - the 225 setting is the average I guess. At other temperatures such as 275 or 350, the swings were less. My oven only goes down to 170F, and I've not monitored it at that temperature setting, but imagine it will be swinging +/- 25 around that point.

I'm just pointing out that your oven may be less consistent than your outdoor grill on a low setting, which may not matter as long as you are monitoring the meat temperature.

All that said, your entire question is a little hard to understand, as you talk about "reverse searing" in the oven, then searing on the grill. The initial portion of this type cook is not called a "reverse sear". You are just cooking or smoking to 120 internal temp, or whatever your target temp is. The reverse sear is the final sear on the meat, to finish it and give it some color and crust. And it is called a reverse sear because it is at the end of the cook, versus the traditional sear done at the beginning of a cook. In a traditional sear method, you would sear the meat on both sides, THEN cook on indirect heat until done. Or for thin cuts, just cook the entire way on direct heat.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks jfmorris. I understand. I had worded my original post awkwardly. I meant to say a reverse sear approach, starting in an oven (as opposed to a smoker or indirect grill) for the slow & low, then finishing with a wood fire sear. Our Wolf electric convection oven is pretty even, but I’ll monitor it with an air probe.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        add a pizza stone and or some fire bricks. Heck even a few cast iron pieces will work. More thermal mass, fewer fluctuations

The reason I am looking at lower oven temps is to decrease the carryover heat. If the oven is 225°F, I need to pull them at maybe 116? If I bake at 200, I’ve pulled at an internal temp of 122-124, allowed to sit, then seared, and they’ve come out medium rare.
      I’ve noticed that once the steaks reach the target temp, the internal temp can rise quickly if left in the oven. The cooler the oven, the less overshoot. With sous vide there is no overshoot, so pull temps for medium rare is 130. The warmer the cooking environment, the lower the target pull temperature (again, due to carryover thermal energy equilibrating from surface to interior.) I’m trying to find the ‘sweet spot’ temperature for the oven temperature before the sear. I would like to minimize carryover heat, but still complete the task in 80 minutes. Also, the lower the oven heat, the less impact of steak thickness variations.
      I hope that long-winded explanation helps!
      Daniel
      Last edited by Dr. Pepper; July 10, 2019, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That all makes sense - I can’t recommend an oven temp though as I do steaks on my grill indirect, then crank up and sear. Or use my Anova.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a sous vide machine (Joule), but haven't fallen in love with it yet. I tried lamb chops, and pacific lobster tail. The lobster was not good, the lamb was ok, but I prefer using the grill. Also, 7 large steaks might be a bit much for me to tackle. jf, if you were doing steaks this big, knowing that you want a good flavored crust at completion of your sear, what would your sous vide temperature be?

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        But if they reach the target temp, why would you leave in the oven? I can’t imagine a 25 deg difference in the oven being that big of an impact for a steak considering how oven temps don’t just sit at 225 the entire time but certainly wouldn’t hurt just might take longer for a negligible benefit

I’m glad you said that. I totally get the temp/carryover issue. 25° makes a huge difference in carryover. I make my living off of the temp/carryover issue with
      varying cuts of meat and thickness.

If I wouldn’t SV or smoke it at 180° I wouldn’t use my oven there at that temp. Prime dry aged beef should be good with that too. Please let me know how this works for you at your temp. I think you should be fine lower but I wouldn’t do it myself. I’m interested.

This one was cooked to 115° as a 7 bone whole and held for 4 hours (I think 4) at 155°.

this is the next day when I was making sammiches for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	823FBAB4-D5D2-42AD-9B2E-4733BD90F64E.png
Views:	1948
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	711500

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What temp was it at after 4 hours at 155* ?

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Not sure but I think that was 137? Also keep in mind this was next day.

@HouseHomey And I'm glad that I clarified my previously confusing post! When you pull at 110, that's for a complete 7 bone rib roast, correct? So, with such a large piece, the thermal mass is such that the carryover is more significant. Cut into 7 steaks, the mass of each is less, so I would think that pulling them at 110-especially if I cook at an oven temp of 180- would leave us with raw to very rare steaks ('a la ingles', as my Patagonian son-in-law would describe it: I think they view the English as primitives who eat raw meat.) We're looking for 'a punta', medium rare.

You mentioned your work involves meat and thermometers. Do you mind sharing your occupation? Thanks, and I will post methods and results later tonight or tomorrow. Should I post here, or in SUWYC?

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        My experience is exactly the opposite: yes, the carryover will be less, at the same cook temp, BUT, carryover is more dependent on temp than mass. THE BIGGER CONCERN is that the smaller steaks will raise in temp much more during searing than will the whole roast! That’s why people can cook thick steaks on direct heat only (albeit with an overcooked band, which is why we reverse sear).
        I routinely pull mine between 110 & 115 to sear, and always get a beautiful medium rare....

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Ran out of characters: if the temp is rising quickly because the grill is hotter than I prefer, but if I pull early, I sear an extra 30 seconds or so, not that big of a deal... & temps are approximate, it’s not rocket science: I’ll guarantee you can’t tell the difference between one pulled & seared at 110 vs 114, if you didn’t know

I do it sometime. Oven at 225° until I get to 110° pull and let cool completely. Then blast it with around 600° on grill until seared. I'll go lower that 600° on the grill, depending on the rub I use as it can burn and turn bitter.

Comment

I want to touch base on sous vide versus cooking in the oven. You mention you didn't like the sous vide result. Why is that? With SV you're heating your meat evenly to a temperature then shocking to freeze the cook at the desired doneness and either refrigerating for later or using right away. The final sear is what gives you the eye candy and the outer flavor.

I've done both ways myself and gotta say that SV works nearly 100% of the time. The only variable is the method of searing, but that's the case with either way of doing it, so that's really not a variable. Oven baked versus SV? Gotta go with SV for perfect results every time. Plus you lose zero moisture, the purge can be reclaimed.

But whatever floats your boat. I will say that your aged tomahawk steaks look absolutely gorgeous !!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Troutman. Maybe I just can't get over the soggy exterior? I'm about ready to put the steaks into our Wolf convection on the convection roast setting, at 190 F. I will use an air probe and four meat probes, two in the fattest, two in the thinnest (one of each on the upper and lower trays.) They are on racks in the trays. My Thermoworks Signals has 4 channels, so I will intermittently check on the air probe.
          Daniel

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Wolf convection ovens are a serious cooking machine.

Not if you are going to sear.

I’m a Kitchen Troll. I swapped the sound of a ticket machine for the sound of a combi timer. I only work banquets now. I cook a load of proteins. Other stuff too. We have to get it right. No room for error.

Comment

Name:	E39024AB-59EC-4ABF-BA16-0304C3B29BA9.jpeg
Views:	1974
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	711960

Comment

OK, here’s my follow-up:

I removed the one-rib-per-steak bone-in 45 day aged prime rib from the fridge 90 minutes before intended low and slow bake, salted and black peppered, and when I put them in the oven the internal temps were up to 55-60 F.

We ‘baked’ 6 in our Wolf convection oven, 3 steaks per rack. I was aiming for a cooking temp of 190 F, and initially set the oven temp for 190 F convection roast, but as many of you have pointed out, ovens vary. The air temp probe (Thermoworks) showed that the oven temp was cycling between 206 and 218. So, I changed the oven setting to 180 F, and the oven cycled between 195 and 210. Not bad.

After 50 minutes the thinnest steak reached 120 (Thermoworks probes), and I pulled it at 124. Over the next 10 minutes pulled the other 5 as they reached low 120s. I confirmed internal temps with the Thermapen Mk4 using the pull-through technique. All had lowest internal temps of around 125 F, none exceeded 128.

They sat on the counter for about 45 minutes. I lit the wood fire on the Argentinian grill, and seared over flame, doing them in two batches (easier than building a fire wide enough for all 6 at the same time.) They sat in the kitchen for about 15 minutes before carving, not on purpose, but we were busy finishing other items and herding cats (12 adults, 4 grandkids age 2-6, and two babies.)

Final result: Medium Rare (a punto) Very minimal grey band, excellent flavor, great sear crust. Big hit. All eaten, except three bones which I will reheat and gnaw on later!

Conclusion: While I understand that sous vide prevents any possible errors due to carry-over heat, etc, I prefer the dryer surface that this low-oven technique produces. And, with a low-enough oven temp, the grey band was minimal.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, feedback.
          Daniel

(ps: I wish there were a way to rearrange the order of photos. I selected them from my photo library in order, but they load all mixed up! 1. Aged primal 2. Grill 3. Out of oven, before searing 4. On grill 5.Cut up aged steaks after trimming, before oven roasting 6-9 Finished product)
          Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Fantastic!

THOSE LOOK FREAKING AWESOME !!!! Who mentioned sous vide, hang that sucker

Name:	clapping wildly.gif
Views:	1941
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	712288

Comment

Inspiring! Hell of a job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here