Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun Beef Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun Beef Rib Cook

A good friend of ours has been asking for beef ribs for over a year now. She found some beef side ribs and bought a ton of them. Her husband dropped them off at our house and I was told "you are cooking ribs for the gang". I'm thinking 8 people or so but the numbers kept growing till we had 19 guests.

The bad news is I have never cooked beef ribs in my life. In fact I have never tasted smoked beef ribs so I was winging it.

I ended up with a full PBC (8 racks hanging) and a full 22" kettle/SnS (5 racks in a Weber holder and 1 rack leaning on them).

Here are the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5592.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	710582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	710583

I added the second photo just to give some perspective on how big these darn things were. 2 ribs per person was average, big eaters had 3. Ok, I may have cooked too many. The rest of the meal was pot luck, we enjoyed pizza bagels, salads, etc. as well as cheese cake, cookies, and cheese cake and cookies. Did I mention the cheese cake?

It was a fun cook. Couldn't really compare the PBC to the Kettle because the ribs on the kettle were previously frozen (I didn't realize how many people were coming so I froze a bunch). I couldn't believe the amount of liquid lost when I compared the juices in the bag of the thawed ribs to the ribs in the bags that were not frozen (as they dry brined before cooking). You could see the difference in juiciness between the ribs from the PBC and the Kettle, but I suspect that was entirely due to freezing/thawing vs. fresh.

I think on average the folks I feed prefer pork ribs. But for the people that preferred beef ribs, I got alot of praise. I followed Clint's recipe and used Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub.

Thanks again to everyone here for turning me into 'the bbq guy'. Just need to point out how rare it is for someone here to do Southern BBQ. I'm 60 years old and I remember being to exactly one BBQ in my life where someone cooked on a smoker. It is so cool to be doing this.

This is the place! I have cooked for a couple of holidays now and for a couple of office lunches, and the results have been outstanding due to the stuff I have learned from this site.

Congrats on a brand new protein cooked for a lot of people and it turned out excellent.

Comment

beef ribs are my FAVORITE! Congrats on your maiden beef rib voyage.

Comment

Short ribs next!

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          try hot sauce as tour binder on beef ribs of any kind, and brisket/roasts.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          I want to make sure I understand your suggestion texastweeter, you say 'tour binder'. Do you mean use hot sauce to wet the ribs to make the rub stick instead of water? How is my guess?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          yes it should read "your binder"

Congratulations and well done on your first cook of a new meat. They look mighty fine eating.

Comment

Great job and accomplishment Sir.
          A huge well done.

Comment

Congrats, Amigo!
            Looks like a Fine Job, especially fer first time out, and cookin em fer such a crowd!

Comment

Those look great!!!!! congrats!!

Comment

Great looking ribs. I prefer beef, but more of my family prefers pork.

Comment

A mess of good lookin’ cow dude !!

Comment

Nice! I've done beef short ribs a couple of times and wifey and I loved them. Been having a hard time finding them, till today. Found a carnivores paradise at the Central Market in Detroit. Will be doing a lot of business there!

Comment

Looks delicious. Envious.

Comment

Congrats! I look forward to doing some dino bones!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here