Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco blade tenderized tri tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco blade tenderized tri tip

I was going to carry the convalescing HouseHomey on my back through Costco to look at the tri tip. He ain't heavy, he's my homey. But I decided to take a picture instead. Yes, Costco blade tenderizes prime meat. Read the fine print.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA88B180-55ED-4D2E-AB7D-560CBFF33310.jpeg
Views:	5635
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	707086

Sheesh. Tri tip should be cooked to medium rare. That’s a waste of $50. If you don’t buy it, that’s another 1.5% toward a Komodo Kamado.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Shiiiii you have that sucker in no time. May as well go gas up the truck.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Or better yet, don’t gas up the truck... another 1%.

Gross.

Comment

Yeah, for some reason Costco blade tenderizes pretty much all their beef that isn't in primal cut form. Don't know why they insist on doing that.
      Their cooking instructions are the generic food safety instructions. I ignore them.

Comment

Why do that to a perfectly good tri-tip?

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I know right!

radshop fzxdoc

Getting my back brother I appreciate that. I am down to 260lbs from 335lbs so that should help. Stitches came out Monday I’m back to work tomorrow. Sophia says she ready for me to go back to work.

I was at Bellaterra read the label the other day and I couldn’t believe they did that to prime tri tip. That’s when I noticed their NY steaks looked like choice at best as far as the marble. I bought sockeye salmon too, cooked it, took one bite, wrapped it up and took it back to Costco the next day. Ugh!! Terrible. That crunchy skin was on point though.

I did manage to but a pop up Coleman tent/shade thing for 100 bucks. Love that. Of course the pork belly is also good.

still can’t believe they do that. No wonder their tri tip is always great. Maybe it needs a wet marinade huh?

Comment

They don’t do that to the TT here, they know better cuz it’s a hanging offense!! Blade tenderized and cooked to well done, is this some sort of April fools joke?

Comment

I have never seen tri-tip at my Costco . . . .ever. I get it at a local purveyor for way less than $9.50 a pound and it is not run through a dang machine.

Comment

Last year the blade tenderized meat took over my local Costco as well.

Comment

I have not seen that around here.

Comment

I was at Costco yesterday and got very excited as they were stocking some Prime Ribeye Cap right when I got to the butcher area. Tossed one in the cart... then I remembered to check. Sure enough, it was blade tenderized. Does prime cap really need that?

Name:	20190705_151153.jpg
Views:	2229
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	708582

Comment

• Red Man
                    Red Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is so ridiculously messed up!

Blade tenderizing any steak should be against the law. Sadly, about the only way to cook one to a safe temp below 160 F is SV then sear ... and not everyone is comfortably in the SV camp (I am ... but not everyone).

Comment

"Blade tenderized" sounds like they poke things through the meat like a jaccard tenderizer, right? Doesn't that also increase the likelihood of bacterial contamination within the meat? So it needs to be cooked as if it's ground beef, not a steak. Ugh! I bet most of the average consumers see "ribeye cap" or "tri tip" and not the "cook to 160" fine print.

What's even more deceiving is the meat does not look obviously punctured in the pics above, so if a person doesn't read the fine print, there's no other visual cue to warn the buyer.

Comment

This practice has been going on for a year and a half at the Costco local to me (Fountain Valley) and looks to be corporate wide at this point.
                      Speaking with one of the butchers, he had no idea that their practice is a serious food safety issue for cuts that are typically served medium rare. He did say that I could purchase an 8 roast bag if I wanted it un-processed. I'd do 4 but 8 is a bit too much.

I have the number to the regional Office Meat manager and plan on giving him a call on Monday.

Comment

Following up on my above post...

I never received a call back from the Costco Regional Meat Department Manager. Very un-Costco-like.

Yesterday I stopped in a Costco Warehouse that I only occasionally shop at and I found an 8 pack of Prime Tritip that did not have the "Danger: Blade tenderized" warning label on it.

One on the cooker today - seven in the freezer. Priced at $3/pound less than the butcher processed 2 packs.

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	2552
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	745005

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                          mountainsmoker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe they have wised up that blade tenderizing is not wanted and is an unhealthy process not recommended by the USDA.

• JoeSousa
                          JoeSousa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When I get tri tip at Costco now I always buy them in a big pack like that. The last one I got had 4 in it but some have had more. Buy a whole case and you can save a few more cents. Mine were $6.69 per pound.

• TripleB
                          TripleB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ralph’s had Choice TT on sale last week for $3.97/lb.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here