Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of People a Brisket Will Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of People a Brisket Will Feed

Starting with a 16 pound whole packer brisket, USDA Prime, that trims to 12.5 pounds. Wrap it in foil when it reaches 150 degrees F. and cook it to an internal temperature of 203 degrees F. Let the foil-wrapped brisket rest wrapped in a beach towel in a cooler for two hours. How many people will that feed if that's the only meat at the meal? Following are some pictures of my briskets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-02 02.50.58.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	706583

Name:	2019-03-02 15.20.28.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	706584

Name:	2019-04-30 21.41.46.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	706585

Name:	Smoked Meat 001.JPG
Views:	1190
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	706586

Name:	Cooked Brisket 016.JPG
Views:	1183
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	706587

Name:	Beef Brisket.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	706588

I find that not counting sides, 1/2 lb of meat per person is a good rule of thumb.

Comment

One
      Me
      That looks great.

Comment

• Scout789
        Scout789 commented
        Editing a comment
        Xactly! I don't play well with others and I don't share brisket!

As pkadare advises 1/2 pound a person should be safe, but if want to try to pin point it the ages of your guests, whether they are male or female and the quality of your cook, which I believe will be excellent, all can make a difference.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the difference between a wolf and a canary is quite outstanding.

• Scout789
        Scout789 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, if it is an outdoor event, people tend to eat a little more than they might otherwise. Especially if water sports or volleyball is involved.

Am I right in understanding you trimmed 3.5 lbs? Seems like a lot to me. I didn’t weigh the last beast I did, but I don’t think I was anywhere near that.
      Last edited by Razor; July 3, 2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Seemed like a lot to me too - I like to leave plenty of fat cap to help with the cook. I've weighed my trim on similar sized briskets from Costco and usually am around 2 pounds max.

I always plan on 1/2 lb a person when I am cooking for a crowd.

Comment

I usually plan on one pound of the full, untrimmed packer per person. Between trimming and shrinkage that usually works out to a bit more than a half pound per person. And add 3 or 4 pounds for leftovers.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          This is excellent advice, as he will lose probably half of the original weight to trim and shrinkage.

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          I weighed how much I removed on the first one I did and was surprised at how little I removed. I guess I've been getting lucky. I just bought a boneless pack at Costco for tomorrow and one of the two I didn't even touch with a knife.

But wait it's already cooked, where are the people?

Comment

I figure 5-6 ounces of cooked brisket per person. It’s a little over 1/3 pound. 9 pounds will serve about 25 people. A brisket will have about 43% waste. Which is about a 16 pound brisket.

Comment

on brisket I figure 1lb of untrimmed raw weight per person. your brisket feeds 16.

Comment

It really depend on the group you are feeding. I had 8 total of 10 up last year with a 12 pounder after trimming, and they dang near ate all of it. I may have had enough for a sandwich. So plan on your crowd. Women and kids will eat less men will eat more and big men will a lot more.

Comment

Generally speaking...count on 1/2lb per person...
                BUT...if my brother and his son are invited...that would feed two. LOL

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL I know what ya' mean I come from a family of big men. Say all over 6 feet, 200 lbs. You might say when we have a Steiner reunion with 80 people we like to eat. We always figured on a pound. At a typical reunion back in the early 70's when 8 or 10 of us were playing HS footfall we needed that meat. I weighed, 240 back then. LOL
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 5, 2019, 08:06 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here