Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porterhouse on Kettle with Vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porterhouse on Kettle with Vortex?

Have a 20 oz. that I was thinking of using the vortex for hot and fast. I've only done wings and drums so far. 2 questions, has anyone done this and if so how much charcoal? Thanks sort of got inspired by a Malcom Reed receipe. But not with a vortex it was a pellet smoker. Its dry brine now and will paint with oil and course pepper. Simple.

How thick is this steak? I'd be tempted to roast it indirect first then sear with the Vortex. I don't count charcoal, I just fill the thing up and let it fire up !!!

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      1.5 inches.

20oz p-house, I'd guess it to be roughly 1 to 1.25" thick? I would give it some indirect time, either after searing or before (or SV too). Unless you like a heavy char or a well done steak. That's an awful lot of energy on the surface to heat up the center.

Comment

Yup, I say indirect first, then you can seat it over the Vortex.

Comment

Yep a 20oz porterhouse is about 1.5-1.75 inches thick I think. After dry brining, then reverse sear to 110. Add the black pepper and other spices you want or you can do this before the reverse sear. Then place over the Vortex and sear to 135. It will be the best steak you have ever had.

Comment

I like the method and understand that trying to cook from raw to done might mess up the steak. Issue is there's not enough room on the Kettle to go indirect with the vortex in place. So, I'll indirect on the genisis and when it gets to the 110, throw it on the vortex keeping a real close on on it.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks as always.

Comment

This is a perfect cook for the SnS, if you have one. I’d definitely only use the vortex for the sear, not for the whole cook.

Comment

Yes I do. I'm playing with different method. Just sat down from the the eat. Used gasser to get to 110. Then on vortex. Flare up was first challenge. Done in about 2 minutes with constant flip. Was good, but no different than the SnS. It gave a retired old man something to do with his time.

​​​ ​​​

Comment

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                No pics 😞

You can always make more meat in that spare time. In fact you can bring that meat here and pull up a chair and I’ll cook it for you. 😀😀

Comment

Next time try abcbbq dave's cold grate technique. I did that with a couple porterhouse steaks and they were close to perfection.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here