Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A big chuck roast Thank You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big chuck roast Thank You!

Did two 3 lb chuck roasts on my 22.5 WSM yesterday. Despite a thunderstorm slowing things down for a little over an hour, things turned out great! I dry brined overnight, injected in the AM & used BBBR (only 1 T of pepper, though) and had the temp around 250-270 most of the time. Pulled one at 190 (sliced it) & the other at 206 (pulled it) & put them in my faux cambro for around an hour & a half.

So, a big thank you to all of you that have posted questions, suggestions, techniques or information on smoking chuck roast!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B0C4C8C2-BD0B-4B9B-9713-8717E0EB250B.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	705339

Subperb.
    You can chuck some my way please.

Comment

Oh me and Mr. Chuckie gotta have a new love affair real soon !!! Nice work !!

Comment

that looks tremendous! chucks really are great and don't get enough credit for being BBQ perfection.

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Man I love that stuff.

Comment

That is one mighty fine looking cook you got there..

Comment

DROOL!!!!
                One day I will find this cut of meat around here....Man that looks good....

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If its up here its the most elusive piece meat I've ever tried to find.
                  I've asked at three local grocery stores with no luck.
                  Thought I'd found one last week, turned out to be a mislabeled tri tip.
                  Tri tip being another cut of meat I couldn't find until I tripped over this.
                  Guess they must be grinding everything up for hamburger....
                  Or it goes to some cuts of meat being more regional than others

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TripleB - we don't have anything labelled as "chuck" up here, no.
                  smokin fool - anything with shoulder or blade in the name will be chuck. For example; shoulder clod, top blade, etc. Here are a couple of good links:

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Finallyl!!!!
                  Found chuck roast at Metro.
                  The butcher said he will never simply cut a chuck roast and put it in the meat bunker for sale, however if you ask him he will gladly cut one for you.
                  Dude....I'm in, in big.

I have two chuckies in my freezer that are patiently awaiting their time to shine. Love the sliced/pulled combo you've got. I'm thinking of going the pastrami route with one for slicing and pulling the other whenever I finally have time to get it done.

Comment

That looks great! Well Done

Comment

I love chuck roast. Especially when I'm lazy and don't want to wait for 12 hours for a full packer. Leftovers always work great for steak n eggs breakfast the next day.

Comment

That looks great. Nice work.

Comment

Lookin GOOD!

Comment

Looks great! I smoke chuckies on a regular basis. I'm actually doing 6 5 pounders tomorrow for a party. I was curious what you used for an injection. I purchased Kosmos Qs reserve blend for a brisket I'm doing on the 4th. I'm considering trying that with the chuckies. I don't usually inject beef. Usually end up braising after smoking it to 165. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

• AOllenburg
                            AOllenburg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I used Swanson’s Beef Broth for injecting. Wouldn’t have done it except I read some comments where people had injected since they said they were doing it like brisket, which I always inject, so I injected & am glad I did. I injected in several places about an inch apart from the top of the roast. Good luck! Hope it is mighty tasty!

Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here