Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for whole packer brisket in the San Diego area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for whole packer brisket in the San Diego area

So I don't have my cookers yet after the move (long story), but I've been scouting out local Costcos for whole packers. I found prime tri-tip, which I will definitely try, but no luck on the whole packers yet. The only whole packers I've found are Select ones in Wal-Mart. Are there any San Diegans out there that have good local sources?

Try Sam's

Comment

Have you ever smoked Select? I do all the time. They ain't all bad. I can give you a run down if you stuck with getting one.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would not do a select. Even Walmart has Choice ones. My local grocery store also has Choice ones. Just do your leg work. I am not familiar with the grocery stores in SD but I know that there are ones that stock excellent beef, and if you look up butcher shops where you can get what you want. Check these out. https://www.bing.com/search?q=San+Di...&httpsmsn=1&pl

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        tdimond I hardly have time to wet-age these days but select (pun intended) a few with plenty fat in the flat, then use a bend test if you like to select (again punnin' out) the winner. Dry brine 3 days with plenty Kosher wrapped in plastic. Rub it, throw it on the smoker, smoke away. Only wrap early if you want to collect some juices, other than that, I just smoke for bark. The brisket doesn't get graded per se, so some nice ones get the dreaded Select grade.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Jerod. The quality of a brisket is going to be on a continuum of Select - Prime, and you can't always just go by what the label says. There might not be a whole lot of difference between a lower Choice and a higher Select. The grade is just a starting point for me. I have had a Prime in hand when I spotted a really nice Choice that I ended up getting instead.

My Costco in Irvine had prime brisket last week. I'll snag one for you this week and we can meet in the middle for the handoff and a beer - and if you find them locally, I'll just keep it.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate the offer, but we're in temp housing at the moment - I'm not in a position to do any cooks. I was just doing some scouting around before starting the new job.

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that

Also, check the fine print on the Costco prime tritip - for some crazy reason they blade tenderize it, which means it's not safe unless cooked to high temperatures (or low temp for a long time like sous vide). I'm not the food safety expert for exact time & temp - maybe HouseHomey can bail me out.

Comment

Keep lookin' at Walmart. I have found a choice or two mixed in the select bin occasionally.

Comment

radshop Food safety expert, not a chance. I still use the 40 second rule.

Costco & Sams are the only places I know. Smart n final carries Choice.

I never looked at the fine print on the Costco tri tip. Prime- blade tenderized- makes no sense to me. I won’t by it if that’s the case. Maybe I’ll go today for fun, on my surgically wounded foot, Parking in the north 40, with the meat all the way in the back.

I always wanted to use one of those electric carts. Maybe they’ll send it out to the car for me, with snacks.

dang that tri tip was good stuff though.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Surgically wounded foot? Don't tell me we are twins!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            @ComfotablyNumb you got it way worse. Had surgery on the 18 under the 2nd metatarsal on the bottom of my foot and on the the bottom below the big toe.

• tdimond
            tdimond commented
            Editing a comment
            Just made it to Smart & Final and spotted the whole packers. Thanks for the tip!

I have purchased a few from Valley Farms Market on Campo Rd. It's between Spring Valley and La Mesa. Decent Butcher Shop.

Comment

Well, if Costco isn't coming through...check out Harvest Ranch Markets. They have locations in
            El Cajon, Encinitas, and Del Mar.
            Jonathan's Market in La Jolla is the same company.

Another place to try is Tokyo Central & Main in San Diego. I've not been to that location but the I did go to also carries wagyu.

Comment

I found some in a Costco near Poway, plus HouseHomey had good info on Smart & Final. Thanks all!

Comment

Also Iowa Meat Farms and Siesels for higher-end stuff than you're going to find at S&F or the grocery store. All around great butcher shops. Tip-Top Meats up in Carlsbad might be another, also worth checking out for the selection of sausage and the restaurant.

Comment

I was at the Bellaterra (HB) Costco yesterday and they had whole packers. Dude didn’t know anything about a shortage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here