Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Strip or Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hogdog6
    replied
    Prefer a well raised grain finished strip all day long, however I'll always happily consume a delicious ribeye.

Leave a comment:

• TxF
    replied
    I’ve got to vote for my go to the Rib-eye, the only other thing that doesn’t some complaints is the Fillet.

That being said the best steak I’ve had by far a Waygu Ribeye Cap. Nothing else is even close in taste or cost, I could have cut it with a spork.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    I agree, almost never order steak out, and I tend to avoid high-end steak houses. I don't want to pay top dollar for something I can do at home. If I'm spending the $$, I wan't something that takes some work--beef bourganion or osso bucco or some such thing.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    KC strip is a bone-in NY strip

• saneric38
    replied
    This thread and a recent Mad Scientist BBQ video motivated me to go get a couple NY Strips. They are only Angus Choice, but tried to pick the ones that were not nerves, but unsure. Going to slow cook in pellet smoker then iron skillet sear. I do love the cap of the ribeye, but as others said, the eye is somewhat disappointing.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210607_110258.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1041978

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yup.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Omaha Steaks were a Christmas gift, so weren't no "buy" involved lol Clark

• Clark
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones Interesting that you live near Kansas City and have steaks from Omaha Steak. We buy a lot of KC Strips and Ribeyes from Kansas City Steaks. We think they are superior to Omaha's. Any reason you don't buy from Kansas City Steaks?

• JeffJ
    replied
    I've reached a point where I purchase quality cuts of steak and have gotten my cooking technique down to a point where I rarely order steak at a restaurant unless it's an upscale restaurant that specializes in steak.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Paul
    commented on 's reply
    Love this. Thanks for sharing! Just learned something.

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Yes please!

Both!

Answer is depends as I love them both.

Mr. Bones is right, around here they are KC Strips!

Leave a comment:

• zupanj
    replied
    Today I prefer ribeye but I have nothing against strip steaks. I used to go to a couple of restaurants that only served strips and they were great. I am surprised there hasn't been more mention of t-bones and Porterhouse steaks. I always loved both but find them a little too big to eat in one sitting now that I'm older.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I'm not a huge fan of ribeye. For me, it's a bit too fatty for regular consumption. That fattiness, though, makes it nearly indestructible so if someone else is cooking and serving steak, I'm usually relieved if it’s a ribeye that can be eaten with reasonable enjoyment anywhere from rare to well done. At home, I prefer a good strip steak. They're a little harder to cook properly than ribeye, but the combination of taste, texture, and sheer satisfaction of a grilling job done well make them worth it. That said, after more than 42 years of marriage, I still can't seem break SWMBO of her habit of bringing home nothing but filet mignons from the store. Good thing I've learned to cook those, too ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; June 6, 2021, 08:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RolfTaylor
    replied
    Good debate. Generally I find ribeeyes have less flavor, but more tender. Also, if you want to marinate they take flavors quite well. That's ironic cause marinating is for tough cuts, right?

Strip has more raw meat flavor (someone above called it "iron" and I like that description. Yeah it has some gristle. But overall I do tend to prefer the strip.

Lately I have been finding very good prices on "petite sirloin". I used to get these at Aldi's and they have great flavor but I found they are too small and too thin. But lately Safeway has been running them as loss leaders. The safeway version is larger and thicker. Being a lean steak they are not particularly tender, but good flavor and not tough, just chewy.

I wish I hadn't stock up n quite so many ribeyes when they were on sale or I would grab more of these. My tiny freezer is full (4 racks of st louis ribs, 2 pork shoulders, about 10 corned beef chunks for pastrami, the aforementioned ribeyes and a few of the petite sirloins)!

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I prefer ribeye. My wife and younger son prefer NYStrip. My older prefers ribeye. For my 50th birthday my wife picked up Wagyu tomahawks and I cooked them on the kettle. She said it was the best steak she’s ever eaten. I will say that prime strips from Costco were an eye opener. The succulence of a ribeye.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here