Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Strip or Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye, what’s this "eat around the fat" thing, I’m not familiar with that. 🙄😁

Comment

Great question! I struggle with it every time I pick up a steak. I used to eat only ribeyes, but then a few years ago, it started to give me heart palpitations. Could've also been the wine and bourbon that accompanied it, but who knows. A cardiologist had a very scientific remedy for this. "Stop eating ribeyes so much." Switched over to NY strip and haven't had a problem since. I try to get them with as much marbling as possible, so I can still pretend I'm eating a ribeye.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        give Chuck eye a try. 1/2 the price and marginally less flavor wise. Much leaner though. It's my 2nd favorite.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try next time I see it. Would I cook it the same as a ribeye?

I'm surprised the voting is so lopsided. We just had NY strip last night an it was really good.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        mmmm-hmmmm

I choose Picanha. Not part of the choices? Well it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        I choose Picanha. Not part of the choices? Well it should be.
        I second this

Comment

I’ll take the rib-eye, at least 1.25” thick and from the large end. There are trade offs between the small end and large end, but I like the larger cap and part of the chuck in the rib-eye from the large end.

Comment

Rib eye or strip loin, I'm not turning my nose up at either choice.
            Or the additions mentioned by others.

Comment

I figured the results would go toward ribeye, but the last strip I had from Costco was just so thick and juicy and wife friendly that I would choose it. I do like ribeye, just won't eat the fat directly, so have to work around it. I also, of course, like T-bone, Porterhouse, Tri-Tip, Chuck, Round, Sirloin, London Broil, Tenderloin, etc... I never see a steak called Picanha at the stores or butchers I frequent here in the West, but occasionally see Culotte; I'll need to seek some.

Comment

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike, how about you? Do you see Picanha or Culotte steak out here in State of Jefferson?

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I order mine from Eric at Montgomery's Meats. His main store is in Central Point so it's an easy trip for you. He has a lot of other great products and is a really good guy. Drop my name (Mike Hamilton) and tell him you're an AR pit member. Truly an old school meat market.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike, thanks for the tip about Montgomery's Meats - I'll have to check them out. I was just looking at their website and seems promising!

I think that most can guess how I voted.

Comment

Originally posted by treesmacker View Post
                I figured the results would go toward ribeye, but the last strip I had from Costco was just so thick and juicy and wife friendly that I would choose it. I do like ribeye, just won't eat the fat directly, so have to work around it. I also, of course, like T-bone, Porterhouse, Tri-Tip, Chuck, Round, Sirloin, London Broil, Tenderloin, etc... I never see a steak called Picanha at the stores or butchers I frequent here in the West, but occasionally see Culotte; I'll need to seek some.
                Coulotte steak is the same cut as picanha
                top sirloin cap
                delicious

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup.

Prime ribeyes are where it's at. Best of both worlds for me, they have great flavor and are tender as can be. Strip has the flavor on lock but if you get an ornery piece it can be a little chewy.

Comment

There is no comparison I can get a Black Angus Premium Choice Ribeye that is better than a Prime NY or KC Strip. If I get a Prime Ribeye you might as well throw the strips in a stew like beef bourguignon it will be a very tasty stew.LOL

But you know everyone has there own taste.

Comment

I definitely prefer strip not that I dislike ribeye.

Comment

Ribeye every time for me.

Comment

A good NY strip is hard to beat. I like the flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here