Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatloaf on the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatloaf on the grill

I am not posting the my recipe, most everyone has a recipe they like. Weather 89 f breeze from SW 5 mph (back of grill) clear skies. Napoleon Pro Rodeo kettle grill. Grill set at highest level. 52 briquettes laid flat and stacked in a S & S for slow cook, but it won't be low and slow. I just want it to burn L to R, lit in the corner using 10 briquettes. No water pan. Meatloaf is sitting on a 1/4 baking sheet, baking sheet will catch drippings. The plan is to keep temp between 300 - 375, need that for 90 min. 2lb meatloaf, no wood chips just charcoal. Expecting grill to be at temp by 3 pm. Coals started at 2:15 pm cover up, but when I started Fireboard I closed lid and set vents both top and bottom at 1/4. Opened lid 3 pm rearranged some coals, closed while I got the meat. The meatloaf was made last night formed and placed in the refrigerator, I placed it on the counter at 2 pm, 1 Hr before placing on the grill. At the time I placed it on grill meat was 43 f and the baking sheet is of course cold. I have not placed the meat probes in yet, I will do that next time I lift the lid. I have noticed that every time I lift the lid I loose 30-50 degrees of heat which is fine for this kind of a cook helps keep the temp between 375 and 300. My avg temp between both grill probes was 324.7 degrees which was perfect. Cook time was 1 hr 23 min (a little longer than in an oven) because my avg temp was 325 and not 350 like an oven. I wanted the center of the loaf to get close to 155. Ch 4 is the center probe. The ends of the meatloaf were Ch 3 & Ch 5. At the time I pull the meat the ends were at 174. Rested the meat loaf 20 min. I thought the taste was great but found that it was a bit dry, should have used the S & S water holder. The ends were fine for those that like well done like my aunt. I like steak sauce on my meatloaf, I use St. Elmo's from the famous Steakhouse in Indianapolis IN can be bought on Amazon. Everyone has their own secret recipe for meatloaf, so I didn't post mine. This meatloaf was done with no topping at all, I do a topping using tomato sauce (not ketchup) and bacon but kept this simple since it was my first on this new grill. If anyone wants to know the recipe just ask.
    Attached Files

Sounds really good. Meatloaf has always been a favorite of mine and popular here in the Pit. Next time snap a picture, says a thousand words !!

Couple of questions, why no wood for a Smokey flavor, half the reason to grill it (although each to his own, I get that)?

Also, why allow the loaf to sit out prior to cooking? Again most of the best flavor comes early in the cook when the meat is cold and damp. Try going from fridge to grill, I think you’ll see the difference !!

Comment

Smoked meat loaf is a favorite of mine. I have tried many different recipes, and tried prepared meat loafs from many stores.
    I was not impressed by any other than bought from Festival Foods in Minnesota. I have tried that one in the oven just for grins, and not good, but on the smoker it is great. Always juicy, great flavor, takes smoke well.

Comment

Troutman: 1) No wood because I wanted to see what flavor I got with just plain Kingsford Charcoal. 2) It came out of the fridge at 30 F, I was curious how much the temp would rise if it was out on the counter. I am not a big fan of "Let the meat come to room temp" but I was curious, the temp only rose 5 degrees. I assume that is because it was still sitting on a cold sheet pan. 3) can't take pic right now as phone is out to lunch should be repaired soon.

I will do it again in about 2 months and try direct from fridge to grill see if I get a different taste, which means I need to keep everything else the same.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here