Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Rub or not to Rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like steak. In fact I like it a lot. Steak makes me happy

Comment

Well, whatever you do, just don't rub it the wrong way...

Comment

RonB as my wife says "is there really a wrong way?"

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          "is there really a wrong way?"

My cat would say "yes" ... ...

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          No only if you overcook it, that’s a hanging offense in these part 👎

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          or add ketchup

Pepper, garlic powder, onion powder an hour before.
        Possibly Montreal steak spice just before it hits the grill.
        More likely Roasted Garlic and Peppers rub because of minimal salt.

Comment

I am a pure salt and pepper guy, maybe a very light garlic powder shake. Second the only steaks I buy are ribeye. A 1.5 inch one of them takes 6 hours to salt brine. I never go smaller than 1.5". I would think the same would be good for a strip but a little longer for the brine since it is a more dense steak. You just need to experiment at different brining times and amount of salt to get what you like. Salt amount I have tried the 1/2 tsp and 1/3 tsp and like the 1/3 the best, my wife feels the 1/2 works fine.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Rib eye FTW!

Now that many others have weighed in, I feel okay with tellin ya what I (most generally) do...
          I splash a lil puddle of Worsh Yer Sister on a plate, an slap-dab my steak(s)/burgers, etc. right smack in th middle of it, then flip, apply Montreal, flip, repeat, an whoosh...onto th grill it goes...

Nuthin earth-shatterin, exotic, etc., but it tastes good, I like it, an that's really all that matters to me, at that particular juncture in time...

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang Bonsey that sounds good!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I never mentioned Worchester sauce, I don't know why.
            Didn't think it would be accepted....
            Anyway now that Mr. Bones has anted up I'm all in....YES.... I use a coupla good dolups of whatsdisheresauce on my steaks.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            I never thought of that whatthattherises sauce. I use it on my burgers for sure, but why not on steaks.

My Dear, dear Friend, Pit mate, an Esteemed Colleague... SmokinFool

Please, do unnerstand that I am here to learn from yerself, an if ya withhold info, then I stagnate, an learn nuthin new....

Never be afraid, Here, to voice yer methodology, fer fear of ridicule...mebbe, what I said bout usin Who's Yer Sister might draw 10,000 replies, all in th negative, ruinin a great piece o beef, etc., but that will never change th fact that that is how I roll, I like th results, an when it's all been said, an done, it's on My Plate, not anybody elses...

Accepted? Schmaccepted! I wanna learn how ya roll, an pick up some tips, tricks, wisdom, an sagacity from yerself, Amigo...
          (an, YES, resoundninly. we Do share th same Last Name, lol! )

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I admit it...I douse my well done steaks in ketchup!!!

Just kidding 🤣. I dry brine, if I’ve thought far enough ahead, add black pepper, and reverse sear to 130 IT.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            My old dad always dipped his pork ribs in worchesterchestershire sauce (gotta be Lea & Perrins) and I still do today from time to time. You gotta remember that stuff has anchovies and other ingredients that provide a natural umami note to any food. Try it !!!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            yer A Very Naughty Boy, Red Man
            Keep up th Great Works, Brother!

the most important step is the last one. NEVER SKIP IT, NO MATTER WHAT ADVICE YOU ARE GIVEN ANYWHERE, BY ANYONE. Last step, eat that mamajama!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man when I first saw that last word I thought you were cooking those wacky brownies again :

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman lol haven't had any hashbrownies since college. Lol.

smokin fool Don’t tell anyone but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE A-1 Sauce. I just don’t buy it because it’s like 6 bucks and I don’t miss it none if I ain’t got it. I use too much which is what makes it expensive. Especially on a baked potato with green onions. GOOD GAWD YES.....

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Your secrets safe with me
            Not a fan of any sauce, but my wife absolutely loves HP sauce, HP on everything
            I'd rather put battery acid on my food
            But hey, variety is the spice of life, be a pretty boring place if we were all the same so pour on that A-1

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah been to Peter Lugar's during my corporate days. Sauce was delicious.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thick & Hardy is the bomb. One of my favorites.

I’ve been a salt and pepper steak guy for a long time. Recently discovered board sauce. Usually I use it for tri tip, but I love it with steak as well.

Comment

I like to dry brine my steaks, especially the thicker ones. The salt penetrates throughout the meat, giving just the right amount of salt flavor in every bite. I don't have the time to dry brine, I don't stress about it, however. I just salt, season, and immediately on the grill.

I have been doing 3" thick ribeyes of late, and up till the last one, I had dry brined each for a day or two. The last one was seasoned with a salt-free spice blend, salted, and immediately grilled. I found myself wanting to grab the shaker to add salt as I ate -- the center portions of that thick meat weren't salty enough to my taste.

It helped when I remembered to dip each bite into the salty, seasoned meat juices from the platter, but I would have preferred to have the salt distributed within the meat and enjoy the jus purely for its own flavor, rather than as a source of salt. This showed me the value of dry brining to improve overall flavor.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              3" Ribeyes...that a girl !!!!

I never brine steak. My usual practice is to take them out of the fridge and apply any seasonings I want to use then let them sit while I get the grill ready (about 45 mins). I usually use SPG or a good steak seasoning. Reverse sear to a delightful medium rare.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              The operative word there is and always will be "delightful"

An aside; I frequently like using either Worcester sauce or soy sauce at the table with steak, either of which is adequately salty to make up for lack of extended salt pre-cook.

Comment

Yesterday I made some strip steaks, ~1.25" thick. Salted about 45 min before grilling on the pellet grill. Seared ever so briefly in CI skillet inside. Some of the best I've ever made and my wife said the same. The last "best I ever made" were front seared over charcoal (heavily by comparison to yesterday's), dry brined ~4hrs ahead of time. I am learning that in my personal preferences with steaks it's WAY more the cut/quality of meat and your control of your finish temp than the dry brine time and the sear.

Comment

A) None of my rubs have salt so I can dry brine.

B) After decades of various rubs, including several years with BBBR, these days for beef I use 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Beef has such great natural flavor it doesn’t need much else.

C) There’s no "wrong" way to make *your* steak. If you want to do a Fruity Pebbles crust after rubbing down with maple syrup...you go right ahead and do it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here