Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice: cooking brisket w/o a crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Advice: cooking brisket w/o a crutch

Hey All,
    I’ve cooked 5 briskets total, first two with moderate success; the last three were very good.
    Of the last three, I wrapped the first two in foil at the stall, the latest I wrapped in pink butcher paper after the stall.
    I’m interested in trying to smoke a full packer w/o a crutch. I dunno, guess I like a challenge.
    Below is my standard operating procedure before the cook:
    1) buy a Costco prime brisket, typically on the lower weight end. Say 12 pounds before trimming.
    2) wet age the brisket at approximately 34 degrees F for 28 days (went to 36 days once... very tender)
    3) trim the brisket of hard fat
    4) inject the brisket with approximately 30 fluid ounces of beef broth, regardless of brisket weight
    5) dry brine with 1/2 teaspoons per pound for a minimum of 18 hours ahead of the cook.
    6) 30 minutes before the cook, apply Meathead’s Bg Bad Beef Rub

then I start the cook on a GMG Daniel Boone at 225 F.
    i don’t spritz.
    Sometimes I have wrapped at the stall onset, sometimes after it is done. Both have worked but the pink butcher paper after the stall yielded better bark and retained moisture and tenderness.

I’m interested in doing a cook without wrapping in the hope that the longer cook will bring a more tender brisket and great bark. I’m not sure if the beef broth will mitigate the moistness due to a longer cook that requires waiting out the stall, but that is what I’m planning.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially for those that have read through this long-winded post!
    Respectfully,
    PNW Greg

I don't wrap through though the stall. What I try to do is increase the temp and power through it, push your temp to 275 at least. A brisket can take it. I have actually smoked prime briskets at 275 with excellent results. Keep a 1/4 inch of fat on the top side. My favorite size is a 12-14lb like you.

Apply the rub before you do anything else I like to do it an hour or two before I put on the heat. After you rub it then start bringing your smoker up to temp. Once it is up to temp put the brisket on.

Everyone has there own method of cooking a brisket and some are doing it in 2 hours now. At 275 a 12lb one takes me about 7-8 hrs.

Good luck on your smoke.

Comment

How long are you holding the brisket in a cambro? 2 to 4 hours will help with tenderness, and you should pull the brisket at probe tender - not a specific temp.

BTW - I have never crutched a brisket and have not had a problem with tenderness or moisture. The next one I cook will be in the area of 250* to 275* all the way.

Comment

I don’t wrap until i have the color I want - it’s always after the stall - and I wrap in pink butcher paper. I’ve been doing brisket ~250°F. Gonna do my next one at 275...looking to cut the total time cooking.

My briskets (always Prime packers) never get injected or brined. Only 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper just before hitting the pit.

Once they're probe tender I double wrap in butcher paper and toss them into a 170°F oven (because my kitchen oven won’t go any lower). I always include a drip pan below...my wife appreciates me not making a mess in the oven. :-)

I’ve held brisket as long as 12 hours in a warm oven. Recently started cooking during the day and keeping overnight in the warming oven so I could sleep at night I stead of tend a fire.

They come out tender, juicy, and delicious.

Keep experimenting and find what works best for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
          I don’t wrap until i have the color I want - it’s always after the stall - and I wrap in pink butcher paper. I’ve been doing brisket ~250°F. Gonna do my next one at 275...looking to cut the total time cooking.

My briskets (always Prime packers) never get injected or brined. Only 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper just before hitting the pit.

Once they're probe tender I double wrap in butcher paper and toss them into a 170°F oven (because my kitchen oven won’t go any lower). I always include a drip pan below...my wife appreciates me not making a mess in the oven. :-)

I’ve held brisket as long as 12 hours in a warm oven. Recently started cooking during the day and keeping overnight in the warming oven so I could sleep at night I stead of tend a fire.

They come out tender, juicy, and delicious.

Keep experimenting and find what works best for you!
          I will preface my comments that I have never worked with butcher paper. I like the alternative to aluminum foil. When you hold it as 170 in the oven does the butcher paper hold up? I am guessing it does not brown and dry out. Thanks!

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            The paper doesn’t dry out at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. There’s a lot of moisture in that packer, and the paper gets pretty soaked...which is why I double wrap and put a drip pan under it.

For me when cooking brisket w/o wrapping I've found that running the smoker hotter seems to work best. Shoot for 250-300 range and just let 'er rip. Keep the bowl in so you don't overdo it on the bark. I also like the smaller packers. I currently have a 13-pounder prime from Costco in the chest freezer.

Comment

Use your normal procedure and be patient. I usually crutch, but have done many without. The bark will be very tight, and very dark. It may not be as tender. I don't crutch based on stall, I crutch based on bark firmness and color. What kind of cooker? If offset, beep the point towards the firebox so as not to dry out the flat since it will be on longer. If a vertical, fat side down to be a shield to the heat. Regardless, pull when probe tender, wrap and hold.

Comment

In the past, I always crutched my briskets. I didn't even know that there was a name for it. Now that I understand the temps required for tenderness, I usually don't crutch. I shoot for a cooking temp of 250-275 in my offset. Near the end of the stall, I put the brisket in the oven at 275 deg and finish it to 200-205. I don't probe, I just go by temp. Never any complaints from the spousal unit who is my biggest critic.

Comment

Thanks all! For the moment, I’ve not figured out how to reply to each of you individually to answer your questions. I’ll do my best below:
                my smoker: GMG Daniel Boone offset smoker
                faux cambro time: min. 2 hours, max. 4 hours or before internal temp. drops below 140 F.
                Special thanks to Santamarina. I didn’t know that one could hold it in an oven that long. I’m interested n bringing in a brisket to my co-workers but was uncertain how to time it without staying up all night before the next work day. Thanks!

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Put an @ in front of each user name (no spaces).

• PNWGreg
                  PNWGreg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here