Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time between resting and eating brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time between resting and eating brisket

Hi folks - I'm going to do my first brisket next week. Due to all the tasks I've got to do prepping for our July 4th cookout, was thinking of smoking the brisket a day in advance of the cookout. Would waiting a day or two after resting kill the tenderness / flavor of the brisket?

In my opinion, yes. But if you should, don't slice it until ready to serve.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1. Brisket starts to dry out as soon as it is sliced. When I serve brisket, I don't slice in advance. I have guests bring their plates to me and I slice what they want.

Depending on your holding container, I'd say after 6-8 hours you start to lose the "fresh" qualities. It would be better to rest for 1-3 hours, seal it up and put it in the refrigerator and reheat 1-2 days later, if that's when you're planning to eat it.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I am going to get back on my tired old beaten up horse - slice when ready to serve, and serve with this:

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

Comment

Sounds sensible guys...will avoid slicing for sure. Yeah, would need to fridge I think....could be 15 - 20 hours before eating time. Unfortunately they're calling for rain in DC area on the 3rd which could throw off my game plan.

Since this is my first brisket, what is the one thing you guys learned NOT to do....and one thing you think is crucial to do? I've watched the AR video, along with several others such as HowToDoBBQRight. I need to keep it basic due to time constraints.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, the rest is as important as the cook for brisket.
        I let mine rest double wrapped in foil, toss a coupla oven mitts and some towels over it for 2-3 hours minimum.
        Some use butchers paper and coolers.

• Ricardo
        Ricardo commented
        Editing a comment
        I followed Malcom Reed’s both first and second times. First was wrapped in foil; later a second time in butcher paper.
        I prefer foil because of juice recovery rates. Don’t discard au-ju... collect, let rest in refrigerator, remove fat, re-heat and serve with your brisket.

• Ricardo
        Ricardo commented
        Editing a comment
        This may be just me, but I prefer full-packer brisket hovering around 14 lbs, with a uniform flat and a larger point. If you are going to cook more than 1 at a time, look for similar so they could potentially be done close to each other.

I’ve cooked up to 4 in KBQ, but when doing just 1 or 2, they turn out better.

Probe placement can be very tricky. I don’t split, but there are good reasons to consider it. More bark, and 2 different cuts both done till done and less risk of crumbling

What I learned is to be prepared, which you have, and then relax because you’ve got this. You have already decided what temp to cook at, whether to wrap or not and when. The meat will be done when the meat decides it’s done and your job is to just be ready for the next step. I include this link to Eric’s guide to brisket just to give you a nice overview of the process https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Comment

4 hours is the sweet spot for me. Slice to order.

Comment

Personal Lessons Learned - Brisket

(in no particular order)

1) Dry brining 24 hours in advance with kosher salt makes a huge difference.

2) Don’t get cute with the rub, and let that big beefy flavor be the star. Black pepper, garlic salt and maybe some paprika. MAYBE a little red pepper or just a touch of chipotle powder if you want it to have some bite.

3) Patience Part I - do not freak out at the stall. If you don’t crutch, it could be hours... and hours... and HOURS before the needle on the thermometer starts moving again. If you DO crutch, it could still be hours. Resist the temptation to start bumping the cooker temp up to kick start it. Trust the process.

4) Patience Part II - when resting, aim for four hours, always try for at least two, and never EVER less than one. At some point, the brisket will begin whispering to you from the cooler... again, resist temptation. If you are foolish enough to let anyone else get a whiff of it, whining will commence... stand tall and strong and don’t cave to the demands to serve. It’s worth it.

5) On smoke - smoke until the stall, no more than that. After the stall, heat only (no more smoke) to complete the cooking process.

6) On crutching - it’s worth the effort to track down butcher paper to wrap with instead of aluminum foil. Your bark / crust will thank you. If you use foil, do not add too much liquid (water, broth, apple juice, etc) when you wrap. Again, your bark / crust will thank you.

7) On resting - wrap an old towel (clean though) around the foil or butcher paper, THEN put it in the cooler. Are you going to have to wash a towel? Probably, especially if you wrapped with butcher paper. Is it worth it? Absolutely. Don’t know why using the towel does what it does, but... MAGIC! 👍

Best of luck, and be sure to report back and tell us EVERYTHING. First, we’re nerds like that. Second, we never get tired of hearing about someone getting a win! 😃🙌

Comment

• MGMojo
            MGMojo commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent advice, especially in the order provided! Just a question on 1.). Have you attempted a longer brine? I've got a nice 5lb, hand-trimmed flat ready to go here at the weekend place, but don't plan to cook until the Fourth. Any thoughts on potential dangers of deploying a 4-day dry brine?

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            MGMojo - THAT is a question someone else will have to answer... I’m not sure if there’s a "line" where the salt has done all it can do and all it’s gonna do. 💁‍♂️

Honestly, my night before thing is less rule than a reaction - "Oh damn, I gotta bribe that brisket!" when I finally remember lol.

• MGMojo
            MGMojo commented
            Editing a comment
            gdsim1 - Many thanks for circling back to drop two valuable cents. I'll heed your advice in this instance, too! Weighing the potential gain of extended dry brine (minimal) against unintended consequence (salt beef slurry) I think I'll not overthink this, sit tight, and try to remember to brine Wednesday night.

Thanks gents for all the info and links....yeah, I'll report back but can't guarantee a win, gdsim1. This is not like your Brett/Mcrae/Quisenberry era Royals.

Still don't fully understand the theory behind the butcher paper / foil method but i'll trust y'alls experience. I think that Aaron Franklin dude tries to avoid a wrap but he sometimes surrenders, lol.

Comment

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            You got this, don’t be intimidated.....you’ll do great

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            theleeb, you can’t NOT win. 😊 Even if you completely screw it up... so long as you learn something from it? WINNING. 👍

Also, bonus points for remembering THE QUIZ!!! 😂😂😂 Just invoking the name of Dan The Man should ensure a successful cook. 😃🙌 Throw a lil Frank White on there too, and it’ll probably cook itself. LOL

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            pretty sure Franklin wraps in butcher paper 100% of the time, if that makes you feel any better.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here