Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Whole Beef Sirloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Whole Beef Sirloin

Will be smoking a whole Sirloin in my vertical gasser tomorrow.
    Weight 11 pounds
    L = 20"
    W= 8"
    3" at thickest part.
    I've decided to cut into 2 pieces for the cook @270F leaving the fat cap on.
    Should I dry brine overnight or salt before the cook?
    Weber mesquite wood chips for smoke.
    Aiming for IT of135F at thinnest section.
    Slicing thinly for serving my "peeps" with roasted smoked butternut, rice and crispy potato wedges.

​

If you posted one, your picture didn't show.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Tnx. Try again. Showing on my phone.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg - then you need to post your phone 'cause the photo still isn't showin'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_181931.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	701698

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Here it is...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a monster. Good luck!

I’d dry brine that puppy over night, hit it with some BBBR and smoke it as you describe. I’d also be tempted to reverse sear, get some color and flavor on the outside. Fat cap 1/4” like brisket. Medium rare deliciousness !!!

Comment

Smoke at 225° after an injection, dry brine, slather of hot sauce and brisket/steak rub (no salt). Use oak/mesquite mix. Take to 10° of where you want it and pull it. Rest it, and crank heat to 500°. 10 minutes before service, blast it at that high heat for 10 minutes, pull, and slice immediately. I 2nd medium rare Max.

Comment

Yes I would cut in two, thick part and thinner part. Salt brine over night, no injection needed this isn't a brisket. Remove most of that fat cap you don't get served a sirloin steak with that much on it, take all but a 1/4 or even 1/8 off before brining. I am prejudiced and feel a good steak only needs salt and pepper. A sirloin is tender and doesn't need treated like a brisket. Take it off at 130 for med-rare Let rest 10 minutes for carry over cooking before cutting. It will reach your 135.

Good luck sounds like your having a great party. I like your side dishes.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 26, 2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If your going 270° like you said.

fat cap your choice

cut in two

overnight salt for sure (less room for salt with fat on)

cook to 120° At the very most and hold at 150° for two or three hours.

thats gonna rest up like a beast.

That IMHO.

Good luck. Don’t forget the picks.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Did not have the time to cook to 120f and hold for 2 hours. It turned out great anyways.

Good points above. Dry brine over night, make sure is super cold when you put it in the smoker @225f and same as texastweeter said. Also I wouldn't bother with water in the smoker. Use mesquite to lay on heavy smoke. Should take between 8-12 beers to cook.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that is an interesting time measurement. By the time the meat is done I'm not sure he would be in any shape to do anything. Plus how quickly/slowly does one drink, I mean we have 2 hands! 😜😁

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Squirrel stew is a one 750ml bottle cook time, always.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            ofelles Yes, cook time is directly proportional to outside temp and temp of beer fridge.

Nice! Post when it's finished if you can.

Comment

Lots of great advice here, can’t WAIT to see what route you take! 👍

Comment

I would almost treat it like a massive tri-tip. BBBR (or whatever beef rub you like), a bit of smoke, and then sear when the IT is around 130 (if you want to finish at 135).

Comment

holehogg you are cooking one of the best pieces of meat on a beef. That is only a 5kg sirloin or 11lb in the US. Not a huge chunk of sirloin. You could make 11 1lb steaks out of it if you wanted or do like I would recommend and set up a two section fire on your grill a cool side and a hot side. In my former post I said split it thick side and thin part. Bring both pieces to 110 on the cool side with smoke and then put them over the hot side to sear them. They should reach 130 rapidly and you can take them off and tent them with foil and let set for 10 minutes. Carry over cooking will take them to your 135.

I have done a few of these in my 40 years of smoking and this works well.

Good luck on however you cook it.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 29, 2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hey, wait a minute! holehogg isn't it a sacrilege for you to cook whole beef? Are you convertin'?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea texastweeter I have few buds in SA through other forums and they do love there beef.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  mountainsmoker dad, KenC52 is a member of the brotherhood forum as well. Are you on there?

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Better than the sacrilege of using fake butter seasoning on vortex wings

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here