Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Raw Beef Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I went through that post MBMorgan and like most of the posts on here they are made up of only the members interested in the topic. At most there were 50 or so members responding, make it 75 or 100 if you want. That is less than 5% of all members. Not a very large group.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't say ah didn't lak it. Just anather piece of exipencive of equipment an old retired guy don't need.. And 95% percent of the members don't either.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker, like I said, move on. No need to blast it with negative comments. And I'm not asking you to move on, I'm telling you.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      And this is why I can’t get the Forrest Gump voices out of my head ....

I'm 50/50 between vac sealer and good ol' Ziplocs. If I have a lot to do, it's vac sealer. If only a bag of stuff, most likely just a Ziploc. If SV interests a person, and it does many (including me, albeit casually) vac sealers do come in handy there too. My point is there are a few possible uses to certain devices, not just a single purpose. What doesn't interest you now might next year, and buying the right tools can 'future proof' your kitchen!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter, Yeah that too. I have both zip & regular cut-your-own bags for mine, but I shy away from using the zips with it becasue they're more expensive, even though I scored them all 50% off a while back. I'm a miser.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the cut your own

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah ... 99.99% of the time I roll (literally) with the cut your own bags. Never had a problem.

I, hopefully, am not hijacking this thread. I'm a big fan of the Troutman QVQ ( I probably do 90% of my smoked beef anything by this method) method and wonder if vacuum sealing with spices/salt, freezing them for future use, then QVQ'ing at a later date changes bath times/smoking times, taste or texture? If this belongs in another forum, I ask forgiveness from the moderators
    The OmegaDog
    Last edited by OmegaDog12; June 27, 2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't season before freezing anything. I don't have that much of a plan when freezing. And even if I do have a specific plan, I will change the plan twice before defrosting.

I also do most sous vide without seasoning, QVQ being an exception that Troutman discusses below.

OmegaDog12 I don't ever vacuum seal my meat pre-seasoned for future use. I know there have been some posts about that and some guys do. I personally don't see any advantage to it but there could be. If you'll remember, QVQ involves pre-smoking so whether you preseason or season prior to the initial smoke, there really is no change to the SV process per se, only the pre-smoking part.

Others may have some experience in seasoning then freezing, I really don't. I just don't see smoking or bath time affected at all by it, if anything it would be in flavor.

Comment

I've had decent luck with butcher paper and ZL freezer bags, together. I have always wanted to gt a vac sealer, but it always gets replaced with something else shiny.

Comment

Again, not intentionally hijacking this thread,BUT Troutman, beef plate ribs are on sale here and that was my 4th of July plan. Your recommendation is to vacuum seal with no salt/spices, freeze until maybe 1st of July, thaw in fridge for a couple of days, dry brine overnight, season, smoke to 135 (my number), cool, vacuum seal, the bath, then smoke again. Is that right?

Comment

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks much!

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          OmegaDog12 Do they come pre-frozen and you're just splitting them up for future use?

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          Craigar. I generally buy a pack of 4 plates at one time (Mrs. OmegaDog is mad that I've filled her new upright freezer that she got for her!) and vacuum seal what I don't use immediately

I'm like you, Huskee, in that I often use ziplock bags (or my thrifty grandmother's trick of using bread sacks) for stuff that I don't plan to keep in the freezer very long. But I use a lot less of these bags nowadays.

I was skeptical about vacuum sealers, until I started to use one and learned what they can do. I really appreciate how vacuum-sealed food is much less likely to get freezer burn and how food is less likely to get that "freezer" taste that sometimes happens.

I also appreciate how vac bags are tougher than even the freezer-type ziplock bags, so they're better able to tolerate some months of knocking around in the freezer.

To address the OPs question, there is technically some loss of quality if you freeze meat versus using it fresh, but you can reduce that with proper wrapping and by using the meat reasonably quickly.

If I didn't have a vac sealer, I would wrap the meat with cling film to minimize the air on the surface of the meat -- that's the cause of freezer burn. And then overwrap with a sturdy ziplock bag or heavy freezer paper.

I would NOT just put the ribs in the ziplock and hope for the best -- if you want to maintain quality, you have to exclude air from the surface of the meat. Freezer burn is a real detriment to frozen food quality. I'd use the ribs within, oh, say 6 months or so.

Comment

I think putting in a 2 gallon ziploc, sealing airtight usi g the water displacement method, drying the outside of the bag, and then wrapping in foil may be the way to go for now. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaGirl View Post
            To address the OPs question, there is technically some loss of quality if you freeze meat versus using it fresh, but you can reduce that with proper wrapping and by using the meat reasonably quickly.
            Not to get off on yet another tangent, I have always thought there was better flavor to fresh versus frozen proteins. Part of that is due to the physical deterioration of the proteins themselves during the freeze/thaw cycle.

Having said that; however, I've seen and read a number of experiments that have taken steak and salmon and done side by side comparisons to fresh versus frozen. the majority of those in a blind taste test reported little or no appreciable difference. They then ran more tests with re-freezing once, twice and three times. It was noticed right away that the twice freezed was off tasting and the subsequent ones were noticeably so.

For a lot of you who don't have access to or cook fresh seafood, I've done this with both fish and shrimp and concur. It's really difficult to tell the difference. A lot of the seafood we get in markets has been previously frozen for transport. Always ask if it has and avoid re-freezing because that's when it becomes apparent to your palate.

Comment

to put a pin in it:
              "1- I didn't say ah didn't lak it.
              2- Just anather piece of exipencive of equipment
              3- an old retired guy don't need..
              4- And 95% percent of the members don't either."

1- No one cares about other people's individual preferences.

2- You can get an off brand SV device for $50 from Amazon. You can get a nice one for $89 at Best Buy or Target.

3- An old retired guy don't need nuthin... not another cooker, not another set of tongs, not really anything... and younger folk don't NEED anything either... this is a want/pleasure site. No one needs to grill, bake, sous vide, deep fry, griddle, or smoke.

4- I'm glad you've put a number on it. I think roughly 85% of members never post, not even once. That's just based on an informal sampling of winners of the monthly drawing in the three years I've been a member. So, if you are counting the folks who post about SV on here at 5% of total membership (your number, not mine)... that's about a third of the active community.

Not bad for another piece of (not terribly) expensive piece of equipment that one old retired guy doesn't want.

Sorry, Mountain, but there's more than two ways to do things: The Mountain way and the Wrong Way. But if that were the case, I might be inclined to try the Wrong Way, because your way seems closed to new ideas that you find uncomfortable.

Please, stay disinterested in Sous Vide. We're hoping to keep that community diverse, empirically driven and open to new stuff.
              Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 28, 2019, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Smack down...lovin' it (even though I'm not supposed to gloat or poke the bear but can't help myself, well done PKB)

• DeusDingo
                DeusDingo commented
                Editing a comment
                don't forget this site has SPECIFIC forums for sous vide. it's OFFICIALLY ENDORSED.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here