Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Beef Rib Stroganoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Beef Rib Stroganoff

Sometime during the start of the 19th century a Russian envoy by the name of Stroganoff visited the French court and in his honor was cooked a special dish. He enjoyed that dish so much he took it with him back to Russia and it became associated with him and them ever since. Another story has it the opposite that a wealthy Russian by the name of Stroganoff commissioned a French chef who subsequently came to Russia and cooked the dish for him. Regardless of the real origin, the actual recipe did not appear until about 1871 in a Russian cookbook.

To make matters even more interesting is the recipe has morphed into numerous versions with most not even resembling the original. Thus Beef Stroganoff is one of those dishes that gained not only in popularity since then, it’s also become a dish that’s changed over that period of time.

Take for instance the beef used. I’ve seen everything from rump to sirloin to loin to rib and even chuck called for. I remember way back in college cooking Hamburger Helper Stroganoff with ground beef!! So regardless of the recipe I present here, feel free to make it your way, it’s versatile enough to be delicious prepared numerous ways.

Given that, I decided to prepare mine somewhat out of the box by utilizing beef short rib meat. I thought about smoking a chuck rib plate and using the meat in the classical sauce, but decided a heavy bark and strong smoke taste might not blend well with a cream sauce. So instead, I pre-cooked the ribs via the sous vide process and added that to the separately cooked sauce.

This is really a very easy recipe yet it produces a rich, velvety result that surpasses the initial ingredients in texture and taste. So let’s get to cooking a Stroganoff!!

The Meat

As I stated I decided to do the short rib meat via the sous vide and light smoke process to get a fully tenderized result with only a light kiss of smoky finish. I prepared them the way I usually do SV ribs, that being by seasoning, bagging and placing them in a 144* bath for 48 hours. I did this a couple days in advance of the cook, ice bathed the meat when finished and placed it in my refrigerator for the weekend cook.

It's not the purpose of this recipe write-up to discuss the pros and cons of sous vide cooking in this manner, it’s simply the method and result I like for short ribs. If you’re interested in seeing various ways SV short ribs can be cooked with multiple results, here’s a link to the Chef Step’s experiment with various sous vide temperatures and times specifically for short ribs along with those results;

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-ribs-your-way

The meat at this point was fully cooked. To re-heat I fired up my pellet cooker to 350*. I made a paste consisting of thyme, rosemary, chopped garlic and olive oil and rubbed it all over the pre-cooked rib plate. I placed it in the smoker with some hickory pellets, monitoring the internal temperature shooting for a re-heat of about 140*. Once up to temp I pulled it and let it rest for about 30 minutes while I prepared the sauce. Total smoking time was approximately 45 minutes.

The meat easily fell off the bone and was chopped into bite size pieces. I set it aside while continuing to make the sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	978.5 KB ID:	700207

The Sauce

Ingredients

1 pound either cremini or white button mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 cloves chopped garlic
    2-3 ounces each of butter and olive oil for the sauté
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1/4 cup Sauvignon Blanc wine
    1 cup beef stock
    1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon each salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
    1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives for garnish
    1 pound of Tagliatelle (or egg noodles if desired)

Method

1) Preheat a pan on medium high and add the butter and olive oil. Saute the shallots until softened then add the garlic and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine and reduce by half.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	628.4 KB ID:	700208

2) Add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and turn golden brown. Sprinkle and incorporate the flour into the mix. Add the beef stock and the tomato paste and continue to simmer for about 6-8 minutes allowing the sauce to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	716.6 KB ID:	700209

3) Add the whipping cream. Stir to fully incorporate into the sauce. Continue to simmer for about 5 more minutes.

4) Finally add the sour cream and the mustard, stirring to incorporate. To avoid curdling the sour cream temper it in a separate bowl by adding some of the cooked sauce to the sour cream and stir prior to placing back into the heated sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	558.5 KB ID:	700210

5) Continue to simmer on low. Add the chopped rib meat to the sauce and allow to heat through.

6) When fully incorporated, add the chopped cilantro or parsley and stir. Salt and pepper again to taste.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	743.0 KB ID:	700211

7) To boiling water add the Tagliatelle and cook for about 10 minutes until al dente. Allow to drain and add to a large platter.

8) Pour the sauce with the meat over the top of the pasta. Garnish with the chopped chives for a pop of color and oniony taste and texture. Serve rustic style with crusty bread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strog 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	677.9 KB ID:	700212

What appears to be an elegant and velvety tasting dish is really fairly easy to make. Prep time exceeds cooking time. Try this with a variety of meats, each lending a different finish to the dish. Vary the ingredients and make it your own. Enjoy !!!

Troutman releases you to join your regularly scheduled program !!
    Last edited by Troutman; June 24, 2019, 12:31 PM.

This. Sounds. Wonderful...

Comment

Thankful.
      I've been looking for a new good stroganoff recipe. This one looks to fit the bill.

Comment

Love me a good stroganoff thanks for the excellent write up.

Comment

I too love a good stroganoff. I have made it with various meats, including the infamous hamburger helper - used to be a staple, even though it has nothing to do with real stroganoff. I make it on a pretty regular basis; going to have to try it this way soon.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember when HH was all the rage; fast, easy and cheap !!! Kinda like the way I used to roll !!

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, plus it was easy, brown the meat, add water, the boxed noodles and whatever was in the little paper packet, 20 minutes later done. The only thing I liked better was the Banquet boiling bag chicken a la king. I used to get those for around a quarter an bag. Early sous vide...

I literally had to stop myself from drooling while I was reading this.

Comment

That looks pretty close to the one I make in a slow cooker using chuck. Might try it with the ribs next time. Thanks!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea never tried with chuck. Slow cooker would do the trick plus you'd have more fat for flavor.

Dang, I'm down for some of this!

Comment

Lookin' good!

My wife makes a stroganoff that's pretty similar to yours. The big difference is she uses thinly (≈ 1/4--3/8-inch thick) sliced strips of dry-brined and peppered filet and sears them on both sides, leaving 'em medium rare-ish. Then, into the stroganoff mixture at the end, so no further cooking of the beef. Tasty!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea that's the more classic way of doing it. Try it with lightly smoked meat, next level man !!

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                I do something very similar. Many times, the local market will have a New York choice on sale (extra 30% off kind of thing). I do a front sear on it (gasser or griddle), thinly slice and let it heat/cook in the sauce. I do like the great sauce recipe you posted!

This sounds really good. It is now on my list to try.

Comment

great looking and must taste as good as it looks.
                I bet it pairs well with PBR.

Comment

Looks dellicious. We make beef stroganoff with left over Tri-Tip. Get a few meals out of the TT.

Comment

Brisket flat sous vide or in the slow cooker might be worth a try.
                    Last edited by gcdmd; August 3, 2021, 05:19 AM.

Comment

this looks incredible, i think i will be making this very soon.

Comment

I will have to try this sometime. My husband loves a good stroganoff and I'm always searching for good recipes to try! I don't care for mushrooms but do make stuff with them for him. I guess that's what love does... or something like that! I try to compromise and just don't put as many in so it's easier for me to pick them out and add them to my hubby's plate. Haha!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here