Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think brisket prices have been rising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think brisket prices have been rising?

You are right. USDA spot price chart via Bloomberg.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8DBA36CB-241E-4E39-B361-317D8ABB4FDC.png
Views:	222
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	697220

My fault, guys. Looks like it spiked in mid-2016 when I joined the Pit and has been trending upward ever since.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, that spike in 2018 was me

Yea and my interest level has become the inverse of that graph.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      More interested in telling the young whippersnappers to get off your lawn? 🙂

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Naw my Glock takes care of that. I'm just getting away from the latest "trends" in meat (brisket being one) and using cheaper cuts and figuring out how to make them steak like. Of course brisket will always be on the menu, in fact I'm dry aging one right now !!!

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      So you're not really helping any Troutman are you? ("Dry aging one right now!!!" 😁

Bloomberg mentioned the rise in pellet stoves and their set and forget ability

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      The Bloomberg article also quoted some mulyak that said all you needed to be an expert pitmaster was a pellet smoker.

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also a major contributor - midwestern farms can't get fertilizer and/or grain feed due to Mississippi River flooding issues. Price of feed goes up, price of cattle goes up.

Time to move to chucks.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, yeah, everybody do that. And then I'll be able to afford brisket again... :-)

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Chuck roast is 5.50$ a lb and prime brisket is 3.45$ a pound in MN. Makes no sense to me!!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. But chuck seems to be rising as well. Though I like it because it is easier than brisket, and a little smaller usually.

So are beef ribs. I can get prime Packers $3.49, and butt at .99, so to me it's still one of the cheapest cuts out there.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman where the heck are the $2.50 prime briskets?!

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      It is based on the spot market so it is not the retail price. We all get to pay more.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Here in Argentina $2.50 lb The catering company doing the event ordered 200 kg of Brisket today as well as all the other meats.

$2.50 lb here in Argentina 440lbs ordered for the embassy gig on the 29th along with 180lb pork butt, italian sausage and 100 baby back ribs.
    Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      that's to feed how many mouths? I always go 1lb raw untrimmed weight per adult mouth on brisket and butts, and 1/2 rack of St.Lewis ribs. Chickens feed 2 ppl, and 1lb of sausage for 3 ppl.

Seeing $3.99 a pound at Costco here. A couple years ago I think they were $2.99 and then $3.29 a few months back.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, its been creeping up.

According to my local farmer/ meat guy. Processing places are increasing their prices on butchering to off set increasing fees and dry aging costs. Pork is supposed to go up within next few months because China ( ironically) is buying it left and right cutting supply.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      gotta see what Trump and Abe end up actually settling out on.

I used to be able to buy full packers in the $30 range now its $80+
    Luckily one of my sons buddies works on the meat counter at a local grocery store and will discount up to 50% on the price.

Comment

I noticed that Pork Butts, at least in my area, have more than doubled in price as well. It's all our fault, guys and gals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here