Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makes you wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rarely order steaks out anymore. I can make it as good or better and at a fraction of the cost. I always get a kick out of restaurants that serve prime rib. I always ask the server if the beef is "prime" (most of the time they don’t know). When they come back they usually say it’s "choice".

Comment

I think the entirety of this thread is why I shudder when I hear someone use the term "foodie" near me, or refer to me as such. I've worked in a few restaurants, with no job unturned as far as things I've been responsible for.

Many are eager to criticize an entire restaurant on one experience. The best chefs in the world screw up sometimes, just like we all do. Working the line is a tough, tough job. I worked the grill of a VERY high volume restaurant on mother's day some years back, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Best believe I had some steaks sent back. 3 during the day, as I recall. Those people work really hard. The vast majority take their craft very seriously, and I'd highly doubt there was any intention in messing up your steak. If there were, then you're certainly not in a top level restaurant.

I've never understood what it is about the service industry that makes people just so dang convinced they could do better. Man a grill with 20 steaks on it, knowing which is which as far as timing and temp. For some reason, SO many people are just sure they can do better since they can cook a great steak at home. The 2 things aren't even close to one another.

Tip your server and enjoy yourself. Someone else is doing the work for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here