Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filet Mignon Reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filet Mignon Reverse sear

Little help, guys. I’ve got 1 inch thick Filets and planning on 225 til they hit 115-120 and then reverse searing. Problem is I’m on vacation and left the ThermaPen at home. All I’ve got is a crappy old thermometer like my old man use to use. I’ll still use it, but how long do you think phase I will take? Guessing 60-90 minutes?

Im thinking less than 60 minutes. At only 1 inch they will get to temp rather quickly.

I’m not even sure I’d reverse sear a 1 inch fillet.

Comment

Did something similar the other day at roughly 1" and the meat was a hair above pull temp (110 for me before searing) in about 35 minutes

Comment

First, check that thermometer in boiling water. It should be at the correct temp for your altitude.It also wouldn't hurt to check in a glass of ice water too.

Second, I wouldn't go slow with it at all. I'd just sear it flipping about once a minute until a few degrees before it reaches your final temp. It should continue to cook for a few more degrees after you pull it off.

Comment

One inch filets are going to cook extra fast. They have very little fat so all that heat is transferred intramuscularly immediately. There is no fat to cool the meat. I did some ribeye's tonight a little thicker than your and did 3 min. per side for med. rare. So for a searing hot fire 2 min a side would be good. Reverse sear is fine for large cuts of beef but not for little tender filets or my ribeyes. I just remembered a fact the top steak houses use grills up to a 1000 degrees to cook there steaks.

Comment

1” is pretty thin. Id check after 15 minutes or so. Also might just be able to sear them off in a cast iron skillet and cook them through that way. After you flip them the first time could throw some butter in the pan and baste the steaks.

Also, I agree with above post to check the accuracy of your Dad’s thermometer. Make a bowl of ice water and check temp then boil some water and check temperature that way you’ll know where you stand.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here