Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Love Living in a Small Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Love Living in a Small Town

We have a local butcher shop/deli that gets us just about anything we want. Montgomery's Meats has one location near Mt Shasta, CA and the other near Medford, OR. Eric, the owner, and I have become friends over the past few years and enjoy talking about all things smoking, grilling, and, of course, eating.

I get the flanken cut beef ribs from him whenever he can get some from his supplier, which is spotty at times. I finally just gave Eric a standing order for 5 - 6 lbs whenever he gets a shipment. I saw this text when I looked at my phone this morning. Side note: when I picked them up he said that he culls the best ones for himself and me then sets the rest out for the common people! Maria is going to get a little work this evening. Gotta love small town living.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eric's text.jpg Views:	1 Size:	425.8 KB ID:	695032
    Last edited by CaptainMike; June 14, 2019, 01:57 PM.

That's great, and that;s the way is should be.

Comment

I love living in a big town because when I'm out in the country staying at my cabin I can't find good butchers. I actually got so frustrated I had to join Costco to get meat after striking out in 5 towns all surrounded by happy cows grazing everywhere. But here in the city, I have many to choose from. However, none of the butchers are texting me yet although I have had beers with one of them at the local pub.

Comment

That’s great, hold onto that guy!

Comment

That's the way to go.

Comment

We don't have a butcher's shop but the meat market at one of our local grocery stores is run like it's a butcher shop. They will cut to order and will grind any piece of meat you ask them to grind and they make a point of making sure you can see that they are cutting the piece of meat you selected. Granted, I have my own meat grinder so it's not a service I use, but I've seen them do it for other customers.

Comment

That is great my neighbor and I used to raise pigs and take them to the local butcher and then order what ever else we wanted from her through out the year. It was fun going in and talking to her as she had taken over from her dad. Our whole county was 80% national forest, national park or state parks, very little living room for humans. LOL

Comment

I just Love Living.

Comment

Love me some small town living.

Comment

I agree with the small town living. I live in a little big town, 43,000 with nothing around ‘cept Oshkosh 25 min north. Smallest I’ve lived in. After givin it some thought, I’m glad a hospital is close by. Spend to much time there. We have one butcher shop, which I frequent & 3 stupor markets with meat/butcher depts. Ironically, I just got a text from my butcher & he made up some habanero brats. I know what I’ ll be eating when I get home.

Comment

A good butcher is like a good bartender, a must have for me !! That’s a very cool relationship you have there Cap.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's truly a family run business. His wife and young boys all work there, the staff knows everyone's names, and they make great food. I won't go there at lunch time because it's too busy. He recently started smoking brisket for Saturday lunch and it's pretty dang good. Starts them on a big pellet rig at 9 PM, goes home, then comes in a 2 AM to finish on his big stickburner pit. It's pretty legit and sells out 100lbs by the end of the day.

Here in Lake County we have Lakeview Supermarket Market in Lucerne a town of about 1500. Kenny Parlet, the owner, is always willing to order what ever a person wants if they don't have it readily available and their meats are always top quality, Progressive Grocer — an industry publication covering independent groceries — selected Lakeview Supermarket as America’s Outstanding Independent Retailer in the meat category for 2018. Am very lucky to have such a market here and it is my go to choice for top meat products.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey there brother, 5th gen Mendo guy here, Born and raised Hopland kid. I know that market, though never shopped there. I'll stop in next time we visit the in laws. There's a carniceria in Lower Lake that is the BEST Mexican butcher shop that I've been to. If you haven't tried it, please do. Great products and service.

Sadly no butcher shops around here just big box grocery stores.
                      Majority of the meat comes pre-packaged.
                      Most don't even have a meat counter but two I can think of do have a butcher during the day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here