Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This chuck was smoked for about 9 hours, at about the 7 hour mark, I had a decent bark, instead of wrapping it completely in tinfoil, I set it in the drip pan that was under it, added a little red wine and covered with a sheet of tinfoil, a few teeny tiny holes in it. smoked for another 2 hours. then rest for an hour. I was very surprised that I added bark while in the drip pan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck 1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	738740

Name:	chuck 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	738738Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck 3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	738739

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      looks fantastic

So, I think my experience is going to mirror that of hubmacfan. I had to be out of the house so the chucks hung for 5 1/2 hours and reached 212 degrees unwrapped. Pit temperature ranged from 267 to 282 degrees. Was at exactly 275 when I got back. I took them off and the meat is falling off the bone and I've stuck it in the chambro. I had a chance to take a taste; the flavor is very good but I found the meat tough. We will see what it's like after we take it out of the cambro in about an hour and a half. We will use it for tacos. It doesn't portend to be a total fiasco but I was hoping for something a little juicier. Again, these aren't really roasts but what appear to be giant chuck steaks. Not sure if that's the issue. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Man Chuck roasts have a bone, unless you buy boneless Chuck roasts. The cuts further back have a linger bone in them and it is more tender.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Thanks...I’ve never seen a bone in chuck roast.

• Bobmcgahan
      Bobmcgahan commented
      Editing a comment
      To be clear, these had bones. Again, I don't see these as really "roasts" in any conventional sense.

They're usually like a giant steak where I shop too, 2 to 2.5" thick. When I'm cooking them flat I like to stack two together so it's more cubical, or ask the meat dept folks to cut me a thick cubical one. I too find them to dry out on the PBC, I don't think beef likes as high a cook temp as pork. Strangely though, beef likes going to a higher finish temp, wrapped anyway.

Comment

I've cooked many, many chuck roasts in the PBC in the 260 to 280° range, following many of the recommendations on this topic, and have always been quite happy with the results.

In addition to those recommendations, I usually inject chuck roasts (and briskets) with Butcher BBQ's Phosphate mixed with home made beef bone broth. I don't think I've ever had a dry chuckie out of the PBC, with or without injecting.

I've had a dry one out of the WSCGC when I tried a hot 'n fast method with one, cooked at 325 ish. At the same time, I smoked two in the PBC and the PBC ones were great.

Like Red Man , I always hunt through for the most marbled ones I can find. Usually they're in the 2.5 to 3 pound range, boneless.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 3, 2019, 05:45 AM.

Comment

For no good reason I hadn't done Chuck Roasts much. However I got a PBC 6 months ago and started doing some Chuck Roasts and I must agree with several who have posted that Chuck is as good or better than Brisket. Over the weekend I did SVQ Chuck Burnt Ends using my Anova and BGE. They were great!

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          YES! Chuck burnt end rock, they are so good.
          And I agree. I love a good brisket but prefer a good chuck roast.

I think the issue is whether your chuck comes in the form of a "true roast" or a "steak." The steak form doesn't really have a lot of marbling that runs through the meat, unlike the "roasts" in the pictures throughout this thread. My chuck "steaks" had large veins of fat that tended to separate various parts of meat but they didn't really "run through" the meat like I've seen with brisket. I will go to a butcher and see if I can get a well-marbled 3-5 pounder.

Comment

Bobmcgahan I think you’re exactly right. Look for a well-marbled chuck next time. It makes a huge difference. I’ve sous vided and smoked grass fed (no marbling) chuck roasts before and even with sous vide they’re not nearly as tender or tasty as the corn fed or corn finished well marbled chucks I get at the grocery.

Kathryn

Comment

100% agree on getting the best marbled chucky you can find. Here's a photo of what I shoot for - very few areas without some fat.

Name:	IMG_7058.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	739221

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              She's a beaut, Clark!

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man. "I see a chuck roast has now made its way into my weekend plans."

Now that is chuck roast I grew up with. It would be the ideal roast for a wet grill. Keep the interior moist and the smoker temp at 250-275 and it will be like butter or falling apart goodness. Use a good oak smoke.

Comment

Are people still in here? What do y'all pay for chuck in your area? I just saw a "sale" for $7.99/lb... My other butcher is around $5.99/lb... Is that normal? Feels high...

Clearly Fuzzy pays $5.49
              Last edited by ClayJones; October 3, 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                We pay 3.69 on sale or up to 5.99 at regular price.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Generally $5.99-$6.99, reg price, here...
                See em on sale, now an again at HV, $3.99-$4.99...
                Ocasionally, Dillons will have em BOGO...

Good to see ya, Brother!

Click image for larger version  Name:	07B4B28A-637F-43E6-A5C1-6F6AC5856A61.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	751132Click image for larger version  Name:	A2794B6B-E703-4560-8686-979166CE960B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	711.9 KB ID:	751129 I always go for the thicker/fattyer looking chuck. Costco $3.99 lb.
              I usually use Dave's post for guidance. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker
              Last edited by HawkerXP; October 3, 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• ClayJones
                ClayJones commented
                Editing a comment
                Need to stop by Costco after work today. Thank you sir for the timely motivation!

As an added bonus, (you probably already know this) our DC Costco sells liquor... the good stuff too, not just Kirkland (which ain't bad sometimes tbh)
                Last edited by ClayJones; October 3, 2019, 11:04 AM.

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I've heard that. ClayJones Dry brining that hunk for the weekend.
                Last edited by HawkerXP; October 3, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Wow that's a beautiful hunk of chuck, HawkerXP . I bet your PBC can't wait to get its hooks into it.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                It certainly is. If you dig around in the pile at Costco you will be rewarded.
                We have almost abandoned brisket because of all the waste (hard fat) to meat ratio and chuckies have a great flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here