Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast?

I've cooked a couple of chuck roasts on my PBC, and I've been disappointed in both. I'm starting to wonder if I actually need a different cut of meat than what the grocer is calling chuck roast. My chuck roasts have looked like a thick steak--relatively flat, but thick, and weigh about 2.5 pounds.

Should I be buying something else?

Here's a small one I was cooking for chili.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_w3fC7kvRtj09bJ9_Az35ljeg07kQAIXpdOyyejS08M0-HKnzgiCAa1Cn2uPGgy8wqlBM0aC6EAR74HkcS0U8HN_tE7GZkeMNGaxLDKI=s1603.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	694015

And here's one a little bigger for the same purpose.

Name:	CEdbFOqFKwA45R4kaAlliaufyNHic7Ooe9ggDFuE5NENI72f-JRuDL-Yz47DiSXo7PanmYp0Rd7smSXhJb8BzPK941fiXzxFInUz5fXMk58Q9WgfckaRwWspt8uz640uHLRzH7VY7y1gKifItNf49Pdl2B5G6sPOhNvsbqFN1s34xwWd18U2iJaQDADuUElV87oI0GCDH8nd-40UTMjzAUxBodopgie-vNV03-hNA_Bmw7FALH1_53DTFKZcRrK
Views:	746
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	694016

Name:	Cm7z-EAI8IWJdHzaFCgcnEFbDzvARC9FWTTDxl9UCNNR9wvWsZ-LoYOmCuD3ED9oJDKCBprkBDpWoSjICjk9EYLfgZnxkF3ZwOEEwyTJ594UrslH1xCH0qKcq4ma2wHo-Tx3NcT0QpHzlDQhUJCtONLH-D2722a-4zW_qrabTxBipFdCU3h3RMMHL2m6ODtu8vzJLa-X5kC9qxaDzhmXco1iKRYsfwp2SwE_dK_YqwFdPXLR20b1bNlEvC85xUC
Views:	711
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	694017

Comment

• hubmacfan
      hubmacfan commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you truss the one shown on the grill? It looks more round than the ones I cooked. Your bottom pic looks like what I had, but mine seemed about 1/2 to 3/4 as thick.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the butcher trussed the smaller one. The bigger one was what I typically get.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like some very good chili results from that board.

The thickness depends on the butcher. I have seen them vary in the same meat case from 1-2 inches thick. He has a nice about 2 inch thick one there which works best on the grill.

Comment

• hubmacfan
      hubmacfan commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess next time I want to try one, I'll go to the local butcher instead of buying it at the supermarket. They'll usually cut steaks to order; don't know about roasts.

That looks about right. It's nicely marbled. I'm surprised - I've always had good success with chuck roast. I cook it way more often than brisket.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I do now with the price of a choice brisket the price of chuck..

I think the more pertinent question should be, what exactly are you not happy about? And secondly, how are you cooking them; to pull temp, slice temp, what? Your dissatisfaction may be easily resolved by tweaking your methodology.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guessing they are too dry.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Give us your procedure. A good "brosket" is fantastic, imo

I hear ya! I have been disappointed with every chuck roast I have cooked on the PBC. The flavor is great, but the tenderness and the moisture are missing out. I have done chuck roasts on a pellet smoker, and even an electric smoker, and they are always tender and juicy, but I cannot seem to get it right on the PBC. I have started testing for tenderness at 190, I have wrapped and left it unwrapped, I have let it rest for up to 2 hours post-cook, I have dry-brined up to two days before, I have purposefully sought out larger chuck roasts (at the 5 lb mark), I have even purchased an entire chuck neck roll for testing. It does not seem to matter.

Part of me wonders if the hotter fire of a PBC does not provide the best conditions for the fat and collagen to render within the cut. Since the cooking time is shortened, I am curious if a true "low and slow" approach is better, which is what I have done on the pellet and electric smokers.

I hope you find your chuck roast perfection on the PBC, and if you do, please share! :-)

Comment

This is a round roast I smoked last month and was very happy with results.
      Smoked on my Keg, temps were all over the place between 250-300.
      When internal temp hit 130 off it came.
      Only thing I do that could help is I turn the roast every half hour to make sure all four sides get heat.
      May help you, maybe not but worth a try.
      Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, you are going to make me fire something up and try a eye of round. Usually I make jerky with these, but after seeing that!!!

Troutman Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town and away from a computer.

First time, it was too dry. I followed this recipe. I didn't follow the time, since the PBC cooks faster than that. I cooked by temp, but I don't remember the temp I pulled the roast. After cutting into cubes, I think I did go by time, and that's probably the reason it turned out dry.

Also, I used the Pit Barrel beef rub, which has WAAAY too much salt for my taste, so it turned out much too salty.

Second time, it was too tough. I followed Meathead's recipe for sliced chuck roast. Further, this was my first time trying big bad beef rub, which I discovered has too much black pepper for my taste.

Comment

• AOllenburg
        AOllenburg commented
        Editing a comment
        hubmacfan - I found the same thing with Big Bad Beef Rub, however, when I backed the pepper off to 1 tablespoon, I found it to be very good.

Did you ever figure this out? I bought two of these today which meet your description and you now have me nervous. I'm planning on smoking them tomorrow on the PBC. Any advice appreciated.

Comment

I cook them to pull. Dry brine and inject a thick 2 inch plus 24 hours before pit time. Hit with hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce as a binder, and then with salt free beef rub of your choice. Smoke at 225° obet oak/mesquite mix until bark is set, then crutch with foil. Take to 208° then pull and rest in cooler 4 hours. Pulls like a dream and tastes better.

Comment

I am learning that I love a chuck roast smoked, or even slow cooked in a dutch oven and then reverse seared. I personally think a chuck likes to be cooked slow, and wet, the more moisture you can create the better. I have never gone off of time, or even finish temp. as I have had fantastic chuck this summer probe tender at 190, and or at 208. My experience tells me (could be wrong) but the slower I move through the 180 range the better. I use Salt and Pepper for rub, sometimes a bit of cumin if it is going to be pulled for tacos. I hope you find a way that works for you. It is a tasty cheap piece of meat.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 2, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            time breaks down collagen better than high heat.

I always had the same problem with dryness, either at higher or lower temps. Can solve this by wrapping early but then you get good pot roast instead of smoked chuck.

I now now do these via QVQ or by this hybrid method, when I want it pull-able.

I do like QVQ for this (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/sous-vide/448657-sous

Comment

The best chuck roast is sous vide for 24-48 hours then give a quick sear - best prime rib you'll ever eat and certainly the cheapest.

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              QVQ chucks are my go to. They are the best prime rib, and very often never make it from the cutting board to the plate. I've done it this way on all my cookers including my PBC.

I just did two 2 1/2# chuckies on the PBC tonight. They came out fantastic. I didn’t wrap. They took 8 hours at an average pit temp of 280. 1 1/2 hour cambro. Very tender, moist and delicious 😋!

Name:	39B169A8-0DB9-4F90-B222-B9AD501A394D.jpeg
Views:	663
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	738532Click image for larger version

Name:	D0838D58-C488-4F4E-B5E7-D10A298744D9.jpeg
Views:	667
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	738534Click image for larger version

Name:	65D80417-4D4F-49B4-B5F6-A0481BBD91EF.jpeg
Views:	688
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	738533

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              nailed it

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, that's how mine come out of the PBC, although I wrap at 180° or so. So moist and delicious.

Kathryn

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya baby!

Bobmcgahan Yes, I bought chuck roasts. I did not roll up the bottom part. They looked like the raw roast pictured in post #2. I’ve found the secret to a good smoked chuck, is finding a well marbled one. My grocery store sells some with no marbling and some with fantastic marbling, must be two different parts of the chuck. If it’s well marbled, it will come out moist. Here’s a pic of a perfect chuck roast for pulled beef that I smoked a while back.

Name:	028953A5-F013-4F9A-860D-11149D2FC547.jpeg
Views:	717
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	738697

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones It was choice.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              You did the perfect PBC chuckie cook, Red Man . Congrats!

Kathryn

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely agree, getting good marbled chucks is the key.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here