Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobmcgahan
    replied
    Did you ever figure this out? I bought two of these today which meet your description and you now have me nervous. I'm planning on smoking them tomorrow on the PBC. Any advice appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• AOllenburg
    commented on 's reply
    hubmacfan - I found the same thing with Big Bad Beef Rub, however, when I backed the pepper off to 1 tablespoon, I found it to be very good.

• hubmacfan
    replied
    Troutman Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town and away from a computer.

First time, it was too dry. I followed this recipe. I didn't follow the time, since the PBC cooks faster than that. I cooked by temp, but I don't remember the temp I pulled the roast. After cutting into cubes, I think I did go by time, and that's probably the reason it turned out dry.

Also, I used the Pit Barrel beef rub, which has WAAAY too much salt for my taste, so it turned out much too salty.

Second time, it was too tough. I followed Meathead's recipe for sliced chuck roast. Further, this was my first time trying big bad beef rub, which I discovered has too much black pepper for my taste.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Man, you are going to make me fire something up and try a eye of round. Usually I make jerky with these, but after seeing that!!!

• smokin fool
    replied
    This is a round roast I smoked last month and was very happy with results.
    Smoked on my Keg, temps were all over the place between 250-300.
    When internal temp hit 130 off it came.
    Only thing I do that could help is I turn the roast every half hour to make sure all four sides get heat.
    May help you, maybe not but worth a try.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jghorton
    replied
    I hear ya! I have been disappointed with every chuck roast I have cooked on the PBC. The flavor is great, but the tenderness and the moisture are missing out. I have done chuck roasts on a pellet smoker, and even an electric smoker, and they are always tender and juicy, but I cannot seem to get it right on the PBC. I have started testing for tenderness at 190, I have wrapped and left it unwrapped, I have let it rest for up to 2 hours post-cook, I have dry-brined up to two days before, I have purposefully sought out larger chuck roasts (at the 5 lb mark), I have even purchased an entire chuck neck roll for testing. It does not seem to matter.

Part of me wonders if the hotter fire of a PBC does not provide the best conditions for the fat and collagen to render within the cut. Since the cooking time is shortened, I am curious if a true "low and slow" approach is better, which is what I have done on the pellet and electric smokers.

I hope you find your chuck roast perfection on the PBC, and if you do, please share! :-)

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Give us your procedure. A good "brosket" is fantastic, imo

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I'm guessing they are too dry.

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    I do now with the price of a choice brisket the price of chuck..

• Troutman
    replied
    I think the more pertinent question should be, what exactly are you not happy about? And secondly, how are you cooking them; to pull temp, slice temp, what? Your dissatisfaction may be easily resolved by tweaking your methodology.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, the butcher trussed the smaller one. The bigger one was what I typically get.

• JeffJ
    replied
    That looks about right. It's nicely marbled. I'm surprised - I've always had good success with chuck roast. I cook it way more often than brisket.

Leave a comment:

• hubmacfan
    commented on 's reply
    I guess next time I want to try one, I'll go to the local butcher instead of buying it at the supermarket. They'll usually cut steaks to order; don't know about roasts.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    The thickness depends on the butcher. I have seen them vary in the same meat case from 1-2 inches thick. He has a nice about 2 inch thick one there which works best on the grill.

Leave a comment:

• hubmacfan
    commented on 's reply
    Did you truss the one shown on the grill? It looks more round than the ones I cooked. Your bottom pic looks like what I had, but mine seemed about 1/2 to 3/4 as thick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here