Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Now that is chuck roast I grew up with. It would be the ideal roast for a wet grill. Keep the interior moist and the smoker temp at 250-275 and it will be like butter or falling apart goodness. Use a good oak smoke.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    100% agree on getting the best marbled chucky you can find. Here's a photo of what I shoot for - very few areas without some fat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7058.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	739221

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Bobmcgahan I think you’re exactly right. Look for a well-marbled chuck next time. It makes a huge difference. I’ve sous vided and smoked grass fed (no marbling) chuck roasts before and even with sous vide they’re not nearly as tender or tasty as the corn fed or corn finished well marbled chucks I get at the grocery.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Bobmcgahan
    replied
    I think the issue is whether your chuck comes in the form of a "true roast" or a "steak." The steak form doesn't really have a lot of marbling that runs through the meat, unlike the "roasts" in the pictures throughout this thread. My chuck "steaks" had large veins of fat that tended to separate various parts of meat but they didn't really "run through" the meat like I've seen with brisket. I will go to a butcher and see if I can get a well-marbled 3-5 pounder.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    For no good reason I hadn't done Chuck Roasts much. However I got a PBC 6 months ago and started doing some Chuck Roasts and I must agree with several who have posted that Chuck is as good or better than Brisket. Over the weekend I did SVQ Chuck Burnt Ends using my Anova and BGE. They were great!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    You did the perfect PBC chuckie cook, Red Man . Congrats!

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, that's how mine come out of the PBC, although I wrap at 180° or so. So moist and delicious.

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I've cooked many, many chuck roasts in the PBC in the 260 to 280° range, following many of the recommendations on this topic, and have always been quite happy with the results.

In addition to those recommendations, I usually inject chuck roasts (and briskets) with Butcher BBQ's Phosphate mixed with home made beef bone broth. I don't think I've ever had a dry chuckie out of the PBC, with or without injecting.

I've had a dry one out of the WSCGC when I tried a hot 'n fast method with one, cooked at 325 ish. At the same time, I smoked two in the PBC and the PBC ones were great.

Like Red Man , I always hunt through for the most marbled ones I can find. Usually they're in the 2.5 to 3 pound range, boneless.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; September 3, 2019, 05:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bobmcgahan
    commented on 's reply
    To be clear, these had bones. Again, I don't see these as really "roasts" in any conventional sense.

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    texastweeter Thanks...I’ve never seen a bone in chuck roast.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    time breaks down collagen better than high heat.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    nailed it

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    looks fantastic

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Red Man Chuck roasts have a bone, unless you buy boneless Chuck roasts. The cuts further back have a linger bone in them and it is more tender.

• Huskee
    replied
    They're usually like a giant steak where I shop too, 2 to 2.5" thick. When I'm cooking them flat I like to stack two together so it's more cubical, or ask the meat dept folks to cut me a thick cubical one. I too find them to dry out on the PBC, I don't think beef likes as high a cook temp as pork. Strangely though, beef likes going to a higher finish temp, wrapped anyway.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here