Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket injection

Just listened to Moe Kason on Best of BBQ Central Show say he brings brisket up to 100 internal and then injects, says meat absorbs liquid better. Anyone out there do this?

Sounds like a case for the Myth Busters. I don't inject so I can't help.

Comment

I inject before dry brineing.

Comment

I will have to check on that. I injected once and it wasn't my best so I quit doing it. Pretty much a Franklin follower. On another note I got to meet big Moe a couple of years ago at Memphis in May. Super nice guy. Got to take a couple of pics with him.

Comment

I dry brine at least 12 hours, then inject immediately prior to putting brisket in the Pit and use some of the moisture from the injection as a binder for the rub that goes on right before it goes on the smoker.

Comment

If you think about it, there may be something to his method. If you get the meat up to temp and the proteins relax, perhaps they are a little more receptive to the injection. But that’s simply conjecture. Seems like everyone has a little special twist to their briskets.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol. Ask 12 people, get 12 methods.

Let's not forget he is a competition BBQ contestant and they inject everything with fancy stuff some I can't even pronounce. For choice I do but for prime or Waygu I don't, there is no need for it. If I inject it is simple beef broth I have made, to up the flavor.

IMHO injecting is way over rated in the better cuts due to the competition craze. Treat a good cut of meat well and it will treat you well.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              So true.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I also inject choice with homemade beef broth but I mix in some phosphate from Butcher's BBQ into the injection concoction for added insurance in the flat area.

Kathryn

Cooking brisket reminds me of competitive indoor archery. Everyone was always tinkering and "super-tuning" their bows trying to get the best scores out of them, when all they had to do was just shoot the bow consistently every time.

Dry brine it Rub it Smoke it.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh you just reminded me its where my curing stuff is when I do hams...………...

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              lol took 3nd in the East Texas Archery Open 3D shoot years ago. Everyone had parallel limb solo Cam, huge stabilized bows. I shot a $300 Parker buckhunter with truglow sights, a drop a way rest, and a cheap no name stabilizer. Same bow I hunted with, and STILL do to this day. I still inject though, lol.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              ...and hope you got a decent cut of meat, if choice.

Kathryn

Thanks for the comments, don’t inject much, just curious.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing wrong with being curious, second to necessity, I'm sure curiosity has invented its fair share of stuff.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here