Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time smokin' a prime rib...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    I make a horseradish mustard rub. Do a dry salt cure overnight then mix 1/3 mustard, your favorite kind, I like a Bavarian, 2/3 horseradish sauce, and black pepper to taste. It will take about a cup to cover a 6lb roast. Just slather it all over that beasty and cook low and slow to 120 Cambro it for a while and it will go up to t30 the perfect med rare in my wifes and my eyes. Use plenty of a light smoke like oak or maple not something heavy like hickory or pecan.

• texastweeter
    replied
    anyone experimented with adding horseradish to the exterior treatment of a rib roast? Maybe as the binder or even dried as part of the rub? I have been thinking about this lately.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    It just works!

• Hulagn1971
    commented on 's reply
    I like this idea as well.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Love the color

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I think it was my 22" but could have been my gasser, I have both.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    That looks very good. It looks like you used a rotisserie. What did you cook it on?

• FishTalesNC
    replied
    Before I even joined here, I used MH’s process on the free site to cook a prime rib Christmas dinner. I found his timing to be pretty accurate on this one (but often way different on other recipes so I’d be asking this same question too). The only issue I had was with the reverse sear - I could only roll that bad boy over my brand new SNS for about 20 seconds at a time due to the intense flare ups. So micromanaging that part took me a little longer. It’s also what made me realize I wanted the custom cut grill grates!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4DF1A32A-5DF7-4DE6-AA5D-A67E94002C98.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	693914

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    You talkin' about this stuff? Easy peasy, one of the easiest cooks I do. Big piece of meat, fairly forgiving. you got this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prime 05.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	693910

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx all for the suggestions. As I said earlier, I'm not worried about the cook itself, just about the timing.

Leave a comment:

• SMOG MAN
    replied
    maybe check your favorite butcher, if Costco is out sounds like you will still need some prime rib.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I like this idea...

• texastweeter
    replied
    I smoke at 225° until 120° interior. I pull then, and either crankbthe heat, or start the oven on preheat 500°. Let it rest until about 10 minutes before serving (at least 30 minutes). Blast in 500° for about 10 minutes to sear. Remove, cut, and serve immediately.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Thanx - I can control the kettle, but when I add the rotisserie, that's when I lose the air tightness. For the Weber kettle, the rotisserie comes with a ring about 10 - 12 inches high that sits inside the rim on the kettle bottom. There are also two nice size holes where the skewer for the rotisserie sits. I've always cooked hot and fast when using the rotisserie, so I've never worried about the gaps.

• fttank
    replied
    AS long as you've tied it as round as possible, you should hit your mark fairly close. Enjoy. A prime rib roast was what I christened my Primo with. Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here