Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time smokin' a prime rib...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time smokin' a prime rib...

So it's finally gonna happen. I have wanted to smoke a prime rib for a long time, but the opportunity has never materialized - until now. Our son will be coming to town tomorrow, and Friday we are having friends over for dinner to celebrate. There will be 7 or 8 adults and two toddlers who may or may not eat anything, so I'm not counting them.

I'm going to Costco tomorrow and will hopefully find a large hunk o' meat I'm hoping for something between 7 and 9 lbs. I will dry brine it tomorrow and use Meatheads recipe for the rub. I would like to put it on the rotisserie on the kettle, but that combo is not even close to airtight, so I worried about maintaining temps. I will probably do it indirect using the SnS. I do plan on tying it up to get it more compact.

My main question is about timing. Since it should be served hot off the grill, I need to have it ready reasonably close to to the desired time. Meathead sez 30 min per inch of thickness plus time for searing, (for 225* - 250*). Has anyone found this to be close enough?

And any tips would be greatly appreciated, (even from FireMan ).

When I smoked a prime rib last Christmas I followed Meathead's reverse sear recipe and found it close enough. I will have to dig up my logger file but as I remember, nobody was waiting around for dinner when it came off.

Comment

You are askin me for tips? The wind surfer, on how to cook a real good, expensive, prime piece of meat? Ok. If ya got heavy winds, ferget it. Other than that, sounds like you have things handled. You’ve been around the block enough times to know what you’re doin. It will be terrific & don’t ferget the pics! 🕶

Comment

Looking forward to this!

Comment

Okay first the airtightness. While you are out stop at Walmart or a stationary store and pick up some 1.5 inch paper clamps, the spring clamps that are black and have silver clips to open the jaws. Use them to clamp the lid close. I would really dump the rotisserie. Just flip it every so often.

Is your PR bone on or nekked. If bone on carefully remove the bones salt and pepper that side and tie it back on. My wife is a purist nothing but salt and pepper. But a PR is a big piece of meat so salt and pepper it heavily a 1/2 tsp. pf a 50/50 mix per pound.

A PR is an odd shaped piece of meat so I go by weight for an 8 lb PR to get to medium rare I would expect 3 hours. The ends will be more well done. of course, but they are mine. I also cook it at about 275-300 as it is a tender piece of meat. Think of a rib steak. You can also cook at a higher temp to get a nice brown outside and a rare to med-rare inside. It depends what you want.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 11, 2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanx - I can control the kettle, but when I add the rotisserie, that's when I lose the air tightness. For the Weber kettle, the rotisserie comes with a ring about 10 - 12 inches high that sits inside the rim on the kettle bottom. There are also two nice size holes where the skewer for the rotisserie sits. I've always cooked hot and fast when using the rotisserie, so I've never worried about the gaps.

AS long as you've tied it as round as possible, you should hit your mark fairly close. Enjoy. A prime rib roast was what I christened my Primo with. Enjoy.

Comment

I smoke at 225° until 120° interior. I pull then, and either crankbthe heat, or start the oven on preheat 500°. Let it rest until about 10 minutes before serving (at least 30 minutes). Blast in 500° for about 10 minutes to sear. Remove, cut, and serve immediately.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this idea...

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this idea as well.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It just works!

maybe check your favorite butcher, if Costco is out sounds like you will still need some prime rib.

Comment

Thanx all for the suggestions. As I said earlier, I'm not worried about the cook itself, just about the timing.

Comment

You talkin' about this stuff? Easy peasy, one of the easiest cooks I do. Big piece of meat, fairly forgiving. you got this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prime 05.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	693910

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks very good. It looks like you used a rotisserie. What did you cook it on?

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it was my 22" but could have been my gasser, I have both.

Before I even joined here, I used MH’s process on the free site to cook a prime rib Christmas dinner. I found his timing to be pretty accurate on this one (but often way different on other recipes so I’d be asking this same question too). The only issue I had was with the reverse sear - I could only roll that bad boy over my brand new SNS for about 20 seconds at a time due to the intense flare ups. So micromanaging that part took me a little longer. It’s also what made me realize I wanted the custom cut grill grates!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4DF1A32A-5DF7-4DE6-AA5D-A67E94002C98.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	693914

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the color

anyone experimented with adding horseradish to the exterior treatment of a rib roast? Maybe as the binder or even dried as part of the rub? I have been thinking about this lately.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I make a horseradish mustard rub. Do a dry salt cure overnight then mix 1/3 mustard, your favorite kind, I like a Bavarian, 2/3 horseradish sauce, and black pepper to taste. It will take about a cup to cover a 6lb roast. Just slather it all over that beasty and cook low and slow to 120 Cambro it for a while and it will go up to t30 the perfect med rare in my wifes and my eyes. Use plenty of a light smoke like oak or maple not something heavy like hickory or pecan.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here