Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about cooking dry-aged tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about cooking dry-aged tri-tip

I am planning to grill 6-8 tri-tips for my parents' 50th anniversary party over July 4 weekend, serving about 25 family including lots of strapping teen/20's young men with big appetites. I live on the west coast where tri-tip is common and I have cooked probably over a thousand of them over the years, primarily using the Reverse Sear technique in recent years since I don't have a sous vide set up.

I can pick up known tri-tips from my butcher here and pack them in my carry-on luggage when I fly out, or I talked to a specialty butcher out there who can source local tri-tips if I give him a weeks notice. He said they are un-graded from local ranchers, grass-fed and corn finished, and would compare to Prime Plus and they are dry-aged 21-24 days. I have no experience grilling dry-aged beef and I would hate to mess up expensive high-grade meat for a big crowd on my shake-down cruise. From what I read, dry-aging loses some of the moisture. How does it cook? Anything I need to pay attention to? I am looking for edge-to-edge medium rare and I don't want dry meat.

I will be working with unfamiliar grills, probably a Weber and a couple gassers to have enough capacity. I am confident I can manage the low-and-slow portion but the grills may struggle on the high-end sear. I will take a couple Smokes and my Thermapen, but I won't have enough channels for 6-8 tri-tips and will have to move probes around to monitor temps closely.

Let me know your experience grilling dry-aged vs fresh or wet-aged meat, particularly tri-tip. Anything different I should pay attention to? Or just monitor temps like I always do?

Bonus question: has anybody taken Thermapens or meat temp probes on an airplane? Will TSA allow it in carry-on? Of course, every TSA station is different...they all say something different and say "it's TSA policy". I may just UPS my probes.

Thanks. My reputation as a pit/grill master is on the line here!

I would have no problem securing the probes in luggage that gets checked. Securely wrapping them in some type of foam and then placing in something hard.

The dry-aged Ribeyes that I have cooked seemed no different than regular Ribeyes other than the dry-aged taste. I don't see any medium rare tri-tip, dry-aged or not, somehow drying out.

Comment

A 21 day aged tri tip shouldn't cook much different than normal ones. Maybe pull them a couple degrees sooner and maybe use a bit less seasoning so the meat flavor comes through more but they should cook up very similar to a regular one.

Most of the moisture loss in dry aged beef is on the outside of the primal so when it is all trimmed up the interior meat has close to the same moisture levels as non-dry aged beef. And for something like like what you are describing I am guessing they just hang the carcasses for 21 days.

Comment

Just don’t over cook it. Even on at the expense of the sear.

I dont know on the rest.

Comment

i have actually had to discard probes that i tried to carry on before. would definitely recommend checking them. as for the cooking...dont have the tri tip experience, but i havent really noticed much difference cooking other short dry aged cuts of beef.

Comment

Typically most fresh butchered beef is dry aged for several days up to 4 weeks. That’s probably what he’s referring to. You should cook them as you normally would.

Comment

Yes, cook them as you normally would. No difference.

as for the probes: just put one in the smallest, that will be your guide. Only one probe needed.

And bring the Thermapen. You got this!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here