Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull day before or on day of serving pulled chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull day before or on day of serving pulled chuck?

I am smoking some chuck roast for pulling to serve on Father's Day. Due to logistics I'll have smoke the day before. Would you pull the day of the cook or vac seal whole and pull at the table the next day? Trying to keep as much smoke flavor and moisture as I can.

All ideas are welcome!

Pull add stock or juice then vac seal. To re heat dunk in hot water.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ahumadora. At what meat temp do you think I should I vacuum seal?

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Not Ahumadora, but when I do things like this, I bag the meat when it's as hot as is reasonable. I make the package as flat as possible, vac seal, and then cool quickly -- use an ice-water bath if possible or cold water if not. Chill further in the fridge to 40 F / 4 C if the meat is not that cold yet, then into the freezer.

I've gone through my mail pile twice and still can't find my invitation.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Check your roof. It's coming by drone.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Careful of my new shingles!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear your roof has been repaired! HawkerXP

I think ya'll be fine, either way...

Under 'ideal conditions', I like to pull at time of servin, but if logisitics prevent that, I don't envision ya havin any noticeable detriment from pre pullin, an reheatin, especial if some jus is included in yer vac bags...

Way I see it, it's still gonna be better food than anything ya can come by at local purveyors, so folks is gonna be wowed, no matter which ya do...

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Mr. Bones my wife and I rarely go out to eat anymore. The food is better here most of the time.
      Last edited by Mudkat; June 10, 2019, 02:42 PM.

I prefer to vac seal whole. Then reheat in hot water, debag, and pull.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I am leaning this way. It sounds like either way I'll be good.

I re-heat mine in a SV bath to about 160* in the vac bag.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Why so hot? 160 is hotter than I want in my mouth.

I like to pull day-of.

Comment

I smoke, seal, shock, fridge. SV to 135 or 140... pull in bag. Serve immediately.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I really want to try pulling day of but then again I've always enjoyed leftovers pulled before sealing. It'll probably be a day of cook decision. I had hoped that by sealing before cooking I'd keep some of the moisture in the meat. Oh decisions, decisions. 😀

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here