Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket in a cabinet style smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket in a cabinet style smoker

I'd like to do a full packer in a cabinet smoker, but it doesn't fit? What are my options? I was thinking about separating the point and flat, modifying my cooker so I could hang it, or just cutting some of so it would fit. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would cut enough of the thin flat end to fit. Cook the cut off too. It will probably cook faster, and even if it is tough and/or dry, you can add it to something else like chili, or eat it while no one is lookin'.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought I was the only one who ate the off cuts while no one was looking!

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora , that is the reason to get whole racks of ribs instead of trimmed! The flap meat and the tips are snacks for the cook!
      Last edited by Mosca; June 9, 2019, 08:37 AM.

Your best bet is to separate it into 3 parts. One remove the point and most of the fat between it and the flat. Then divide the flat in half. Each piece will cook at slightly different times so an instant read thermometer is a must to check for doneness. For the flat you want no more than a 1/4" of fat on it. For temperature I cook my briskets a little higher, say 250-275. I do not wrap for the stall. Why, they are releasing water, wrapping them in foil just holds that water in, if you must wrap use what Aaron Franklin uses which is butcher paper as it lets the water escape.

Well good luck.

Comment

What they said. Should work just fine.

Comment

Would this work for you, fast fwd to 11:20:

(Thanks
        Henrik )

Comment

Either trim off just enough of the flat to fit. Then grind the flat for burgers/chili what have you. Or separate the flat from the point and cook both. Can you maybe squish it a little to get it to fit caticorner? Remember it will draw up some while cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here